Thread: Pistol Brass?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of decrimping Tool do you have? Decrimping even a couple hundred cases with an electric prep station is gonna suck lol

I collect Blazer brass, Federal (FC), Fiocchi (GFL), Win, and R-P.

I only use 45ACP small primer brass so I can bulk stock small pistol primers and have them work in all my pistol reloads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    What kind of decrimping Tool do you have? Decrimping even a couple hundred cases with an electric prep station is gonna suck lol

I collect Blazer brass, Federal (FC), Fiocchi (GFL), Win, and R-P.

I only use 45ACP small primer brass so I can bulk stock small pistol primers and have them work in all my pistol reloads
    I have a Dillon super swage tool. It's not bad at all. I have it mounted on a big board that I clamp to a bench so I can do it while I watch football. When I have mundane tasks like that I tend to do it over time. I will rarely do it for hours on end but more like an hour here or an hour there. It might take me a month to get through a bucket of brass, but once you're done, you're done.

In an hour you can easily do a few hundred cases.

I've thought about that too... the whole primer thing... but I am as part of my master plan, going to buy bits and pieces of things like primers every so many months even if I don't need them until I have a decent stash. That said it would be extremely nice to have all the same stamp and all the same primer size. Odds are though I will definitely sort them out (if I don't buy same stamped brass) so that my bucket full of brass is all one primer size.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I have really good luck with RP and PMC. I thought I was having press issues, but for me, it was with federal brass. I would get a lot of crunched cases in my AP press. When it comes to brass, I sort everything by headstamp. And if I didn't do that, I would be still scratching my head about the Federal brass. I still have bags of Fiocchi, Star line, etc., but I won't load them up until i have at least 100 of them.
    Yes. It is very prevalent with .45 brass I guess because of the overall diameter of the case. Federal brass is pretty thin. The PMC or other stuff I can tell is a lot more 'robust'. Having good stout brass alleviates a lot of headaches like you mention (crunched cases) and it will last longer over time.

If I can find a place that sells same head stamped 9mm and same head stamped .45 that is more 'robust' then I might just buy a few lots of that (each) and call it a day. It would last me honestly for years if I get 5000++ cases of each. I would probably not have to worry about it again for 5 years or more and that would be from me just not picking it up which I am pretty good about doing.

I can for sure tell a big difference in the mixed brass though. With that hand press and resizing the cases. YUP. I can tell that the hardness and thickness and all that is totally different brand to brand.