Thread: Crazy $$$ Build

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    That gives me more to think about and puts the BRT back on the table to. Intention is to run adjustable gas to optimize for 5.56 and be able to open it up if for whatever reason all I have access to is crap ammo.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    That gives me more to think about and puts the BRT back on the table to. Intention is to run adjustable gas to optimize for 5.56 and be able to open it up if for whatever reason all I have access to is crap ammo.
    I HATE adjustable gas blocks. They are like putting a tourniquet on a arterial bleed. It will STOP the main issue but it does not FIX it. If you cannot get your rifle to work by adjusting the buffer and carrier then there is a much larger underlying problem.

And the too much gas in the face is total crap. I was blasting away with a MK18 and a KAC can and I lived.... and I had no issues shooting the weakest ammo without a can on it.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I HATE adjustable gas blocks. They are like putting a tourniquet on a arterial bleed. It will STOP the main issue but it does not FIX it. If you cannot get your rifle to work by adjusting the buffer and carrier then there is a much larger underlying problem.

And the too much gas in the face is total crap. I was blasting away with a MK18 and a KAC can and I lived.... and I had no issues shooting the weakest ammo without a can on it.
    I hate excessive reciprocating mass.

May I suggest an alternate way to think about it? The Gas Port (size, location), reciprocating mass (BCG + buffer) and Spring are all elements of a system that needs to be in proper balance for reliable and efficient operation for the ammo and suppressor configuration being used. Overgassed ports sacrifice efficiency for reliability so the easiest way to solve for that is to restrict gas at the port. I'd argue that adding a heavier buffer to compensate for an oversized gas port is more of band-aid solution than an adjustable gas block. If you want reliability over a wide range of scenarios, you have to solve for the lowest gas combination and accept over-gassing everywhere else. Adding reciprocating mass to compensate for a gas port that is improperly sized is much less desirable to me personally than an AGB. And by 'efficient', I mean that over gassed systems are subjecting the weapon to higher temperatures and cyclic rates than needed the produce additional wear on the equipment and unneeded discomfort to the shooter (and potential additional health risks as that crap ain't exactly great to breathe in).