Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    We have 4 right now. Building 2 SBRs and one .308 and I think we will be done. I want to build a nice bolt rifle as well soon.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I finish this one, (.277 Wolverine), I'll have 8. That's after having sold a couple a while back. Number 8 is it, my very last project. Then I'm done. No more. Nada. Absolutely last build.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    When I finish this one, (.277 Wolverine), I'll have 8. That's after having sold a couple a while back. Number 8 is it, my very last project. Then I'm done. No more. Nada. Absolutely last build.

FT
    until a new caliber comes out
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    No more. Nada. Absolutely last build.

FT
    I'd love to say this, but I know it's not true for me. However, if someone new gets built, something else will be torn down.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    We have 4 right now. Building 2 SBRs and one .308 and I think we will be done. I want to build a nice bolt rifle as well soon.
    Dude we have 2 kids, we will not be done after 3. You know you'll build more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Let's leave bolts out of this one... I'm doing all I can to stay away from that realm of a money pit.

Quote Originally Posted by akersc View Post
    Dude we have 2 kids, we will not be done after 3. You know you'll build more!
    Haha calling him out huh? And yea I'm sure there will be several more as time goes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Let's leave bolts out of this one... I'm doing all I can to stay away from that realm of a money pit.

Haha calling him out huh? And yea I'm sure there will be several more as time goes.
    I know my husband quite well, he will never be done.

Downloads
    Uploads

True true!!

Downloads
    Uploads

He means well... ;-)

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm working right now on paring down to either two or three. If it's two, one will be an SBR with a Switchblock to be home-defense-suppressed/compact-lightweight-unsuppressed. If its three, one will be a dedicated suppressed SBR, one will be a dedicated up suppressed SBR. In either case, the other gun will be a 16" with a 1.x-Y optic on it for general training and competing and plinking.

I am well and good eover Barbie guns and other nonsense like like "my next build", and can't purge fast enough. I get that some people are into that, and I guess I was too at one time, but what I learned over that time is its all just a giant waste of money to me.
    Last edited by rob_s; 1 March 2015 at 13:13.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm working right now on paring down to either two or three. If it's two, one will be an SBR with a Switchblock to be home-defense-suppressed/compact-lightweight-unsuppressed. If its three, one will be a dedicated suppressed SBR, one will be a dedicated up suppressed SBR. In either case, the other gun will be a 16" with a 1.x-Y optic on it for general training and competing and plinking.

I am well and good eover Barbie guns and other nonsense like like "my next build", and can't purge fast enough. I get that some people are into that, and I guess I was too at one time, but what I learned over that time is its all just a giant waste of money to me.
    I think your onto something there Rob. Having 2-3 "purpose" driven rifles for specific tasks.

However being a mechanic for so many years makes the building process enjoyable. But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective. Good luck pairing down

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective.
    Yes it is. My perspective is that accumulating crap just to accumulate crap is a waste of money. I don't care if it's Elvis collector plates, beer steins, or guns. Objects and items, for me, are not about the ownership but about what I can do with them. They are there to support a task or as a tool for use in an activity. I don't collect suitcases for the sake of posting to suitcase forums about my latest purchase/project, I have a couple for the purposes of travel. One large for long trips, one small for short trips. I don't own a 9mm Ar because:project or because:”build" or because:neato or because:Internet-picture-posting, I own one because there are matches I participate in where it's the only rifle I can shoot, and ranges where only pistol-caliber ammo is allowed.

If the DPMS owner has a defined purpose and his DPMS is fulfilling that purpose, then I have no issue with it. In fact, at one time DPMS was the choice of a lot of 3-gun ears, for whatever reason (probably because at the time there wasn't a TV show and the only people cheaper than 3-gunners were USPSA shooters). I find the accumulation of things, for the sake of accumulation, to be odd as fuck.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I think your onto something there Rob. Having 2-3 "purpose" driven rifles for specific tasks.

However being a mechanic for so many years makes the building process enjoyable. But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective. Good luck pairing down

Yes it is. My perspective is that accumulating crap just to accumulate crap is a waste of money. I don't care if it's Elvis collector plates, beer steins, or guns. Objects and items, for me, are not about the ownership but about what I can do with them. They are there to support a task or as a tool for use in an activity. I don't collect suitcases for the sake of posting to suitcase forums about my latest purchase/project, I have a couple for the purposes of travel. One large for long trips, one small for short trips. I don't own a 9mm Ar because:project or because:”build" or because:neato or because:Internet-picture-posting, I own one because there are matches I participate in where it's the only rifle I can shoot, and ranges where only pistol-caliber ammo is allowed.

If the DPMS owner has a defined purpose and his DPMS is fulfilling that purpose, then I have no issue with it. In fact, at one time DPMS was the choice of a lot of 3-gun ears, for whatever reason (probably because at the time there wasn't a TV show and the only people cheaper than 3-gunners were USPSA shooters). I find the accumulation of things, for the sake of accumulation, to be odd as fuck.
    Rob for the most part is right on the accumulating or collecting. A lot of folks either go down one of two paths when they get into shooting, either they end up shooting a lot or they end up collecting. Most do not have the time or funds to do both.

I've got friends with safes loaded to the gills with firearms, so many that they can't remember how many or what they have. One had over 400 till he got divorced. That same friend is the same one that would bring me firearms and ammo to go shoot, he rarely came out and shot though. When he came out though he quickly found out his skill set wasn't where he hoped it was, then usually ended up just shooting the breeze rather than the firearms he brought.

I've got friends that their only rifle is a DPMS that have no idea what a Noveske is. But they run circles around a lot of folks at the range. If you have the funds to both collect and go shoot, then power to you. But don't let collecting get in the way of shooting or training.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

I bet the guy who bought a colt 6920 every month seemed like a real gun nut.., until the sandy hook shooting. Then his 1,100 investment tripled over night. Accumulation for the sake of accumulation? No some guns are shooters. Some are investments.

Builds for Internet gun postings? Haha. Find a "build" post or rifle picture of mine before being here a good long while. That's not an accident. If that were my "thing" I'd have lead with it. No I came and stayed to help people. Not rip them because dang look that guys posting another build. Only reason I even started posting pictures of my personal rifles was the stimulation of conversation. This place was crickets a lot of times. Did I help change that, nope probably not. But I tried to help the forum grow. But the only thing i see you post about lately is whale jizz coatings and purging.

Last edited by DutyUse; 2 March 2015 at 08:24.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been through this before, but mainly with "mainstream" firearms, mostly sporting rifles, or more specifically bolt action hunting rifles and pistols, and a bunch of 1911's and odds and ends. I couldn't possibly keep up with all of it, I shot very little commercial ammo, and owned several "roll your own" calibers that were no longer commercially available, the logistics of reloading for it all was getting out of hand, and I was retiring for good, for a second time. Also except for small game and upland birds, my hunting career had just about petered out. I had a bunch of cash setting in those safes, doing nothing, but being frustrating keeping up with what was sighted in, what I had ammo loaded for, etc.

I auctioned off most of it, with the exception of a few pieces that had sentimental value.

I had a couple of commercial AR's then, that I kept.

Fast forward, now I have, among other things, safe full of AR's. Don't know how I got there, but I just needed one for this scenario or that. I don't think I'm going to completely purge like Rob_s but I think my policy from now on is one for one. If I acquire one, then one has to go. Just keeping up with what's sighted in, with what ammo, and other considerations, is becoming a pain in the ass, that tends to make me lose a little interest in the whole AR world.

I'm not being the least bit judgemental , if someone wants to build and keep an entire walk in vault full of AR's, have at it. I think 7 or 8 is plenty enough for me.
    Last edited by FortTom; 1 March 2015 at 19:10.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member