Quote Originally Posted by poimen View Post
I fully appreciate the help everyone has given, don't get me wrong. I hope I'm not coming off as ungrateful. But I think people misunderstand when I say I can't afford to spend every weekend shooting the amount I want to shoot. I have a family and I spend a lot of time with them. I'm sure they don't feel the same about range time as I do. Having a family also means sometimes putting their needs ahead of my own (crazy I know). But I don't have a job that has crazy amounts of expendable income like it sounds most of you have. I'm a noob just trying to get my feet wet building a quality firearm for the least amount of money possible.
Believe me man. There are very few if anyone here that has an unlimited budget. And a whole lot have greater commitments than their gun hobbies. Trust me we all get it.

As for building the gun I think it's not so much what you are thinking IE throwing unlimited money at projects etc. I for one started as a brand new noob to the AR world.

I think the biggest idea here is to basically not get a piece of junk. Whether it be a trigger or a scope mount or even back up sights the guys here know their stuff. A bunch use firearms along with their profession.

I think the main idea here that you're missing is that we are going for the best bang for the buck, not always the biggest blingy thing out there.

If you want a gun that you can run fast and hard or that you can hand off to your kid 15 years from now...well then there you go. Yes you can and most of us do build guns that are budget based but money is far from unlimited. Speaking only for myself I was thinking a lot bigger picture in taking my time to put together good stuff.

Pretty much it took me way more time to get things that I wanted/needed. I saved up a little nest egg and then supplemented it from there. People here are sometimes spreading out builds over 6 months or a year. All of us just see the end result... some really bad ass gun in some awesome photo.

Basically put don't be shy about slowing down and tucking away $20 or $50 here or there and waiting on a great sale. If I had to buy everything all at once in all of my rifles there is no way I could have done it.

The urge to want a gun 'right now' is one thing... but if you're building don't be shy to slow down and do it right.