Thread: HK 416 Thread

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    is there any reason that HK can't sell actual semi auto 416 rifles and SBRs complete in the US other than the fact that they would have to manufacture them here for the most part and because HK is HK?
    I think the big issue is that not all of the parts can come into the US to make it a 416 due to the German government. The MR556s don't have the same components (AR15 carrier, non-German/non-CL barrel, etc), so they "can't" (and shouldn't) be sold as 416s. Could they work around this? I'm guessing yes and start making a few components state-side, but I guess they don't wanna.

I've been out of the HK realm for the last couple of months but started paying attention the last couple of days again. It's interesting...it looks like 416s are starting to creep back up in price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I think the big issue is that not all of the parts can come into the US to make it a 416 due to the German government. The MR556s don't have the same components (AR15 carrier, non-German/non-CL barrel, etc), so they "can't" (and shouldn't) be sold as 416s. Could they work around this? I'm guessing yes and start making a few components state-side, but I guess they don't wanna.

I've been out of the HK realm for the last couple of months but started paying attention the last couple of days again. It's interesting...it looks like 416s are starting to creep back up in price.

ah. I didn't realize it was German law stopping the export. I thought it was US law stopping the import. Either way though, it's not like manufacturing in US couldn't handle building to the right spec to equal the German stuff they can't export.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ah. I didn't realize it was German law stopping the export. I thought it was US law stopping the import. Either way though, it's not like manufacturing in US couldn't handle building to the right spec to equal the German stuff they can't export.
    Most people online that constantly complain about how HK hates the civilian market, can't wrap their head around the German export laws, which are the real problem.

You should have seen the tizzy some were having when Hurricane Butterfly imported some 416C lowers to the US and charged 12K for a somewhat complete HK gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Most people online that constantly complain about how HK hates the civilian market, can't wrap their head around the German export laws, which are the real problem.

You should have seen the tizzy some were having when Hurricane Butterfly imported some 416C lowers to the US and charged 12K for a somewhat complete HK gun.
    how much of the gun are they restricted from exporting? im actually mostly surprised that the military contract isn't requiring them to be built here in the US.

didn't they finally release a civilian mp5 in the US? I assume that means we can get real (semi-auto) 416 in 2043 right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    how much of the gun are they restricted from exporting? im actually mostly surprised that the military contract isn't requiring them to be built here in the US.

didn't they finally release a civilian mp5 in the US? I assume that means we can get real (semi-auto) 416 in 2043 right?
    Exporting to the military (a NATO ally) and exporting to the civilian market is part of the problem. Even if HK has a footprint in the US doesn't mean it's controlled by US people. It's still a German company that's governed by German law. Also, my understanding is that the IAR barrel still comes from Germany, even if it may be assembled here (which I'm honestly not sure if it is).

The civilian MP5 (called a SP5 and SP5K) are both pistols, so it's classified differently by the German government. Hence why you can still buy other HK pistols.