Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remembered this from a few months ago. Obviously you don't need to watch the whole thing, but relevant information is at 12:40.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the things I enjoy about revolvers for recreational use is that you can reload without being bound to an autoloader's cycling requirements. I reload 38spcl cases using 148gr DEWC and 2.6gr of Winchester 231. Accurate easy shooting load in the Tracker I mentioned earlier feeling close to a 22LR. Great for the wife and grandkids too.

Revolvers are simple to operate, reliable, versatile and VERY forgiving. Worthy characteristics for both recreational and self defense use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know, I actually enjoy the my S&W in 45s and 44s more than my wheel guns in .38 and 357. I hand load my .44's though. So I don't get a lot of recoil from the light loaded .44spl and .44mags. Especially in the N' frame guns. I only own one Snake model. The .44 and .45s are more accurate than most people can shoot.

If you are going to get a ruger GP-100 they are solid guns. I recommend having the trigger smoothed out some. I don't own any Ruger Wheel guns anymore though. I jumped on the Classic S&W wagon years ago.

Find yourself a nice S&W Model 10-5 or 10-6. I enjoy shooting my 10-5 with a 5' barrel. Its a fun range toy and will become my old man gun when I am in my 80's. I also recommend the S&W in .45ACP. Seriously, if you aren't going to hand load .44mag or Spl. Getting a 625 or 25-2 is the way to go. Still a lot of fun to shoot and not a lot of recoil with factory loads. Yeah, you have to deal with moon clips, but they aren't that big of a deal.

If you are going to stick with .357 and 38 I recommend the Model 66-whatever with a 4' barrel. If you can find a nice blued 586 you will have a soft shooting gun that is also beautiful with the blueing.

Too bad I moved or I could let you try whatever I have in my stable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only advice I can give is go with something that will double up with a lever gun. It saves on extra calibers whether you reload or not!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    The only advice I can give is go with something that will double up with a lever gun. It saves on extra calibers whether you reload or not!
    Excellent advice, Joelski. Maybe a Marlin .44 mag, with your choice of .44 revolver. I used to carry that same combo, hunting in areas where there are critters who want to kill you. I've owned a stainless Ruger revolver, but preferred a Super Blackhawk S/A for hunting. Makes one sleep at night where the critter count outside of the tent, was a little shakey.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve had both a 4” 686 and a GP100. I preferred the balance of the 686. Recently got to shoot a 686 Plus and loved it, may be my next purchase.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I’ve had both a 4” 686 and a GP100. I preferred the balance of the 686. Recently got to shoot a 686 Plus and loved it, may be my next purchase.
    GOST, have you ever tried a Super Redhawk? If you want a DA and might pair it with a .44 lever gun, it's a great pair, especially when you're hunting in really heavy crap and don't have much room to swing the rifle. I've owned a couple, but prefer the Stainless S/A with some Hogue or Pachmayer rubber grips and a 7.5 barrel.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 686 is an almost perfect revolver.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Super Black Hawk and like it except for the trigger guard.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shot a redhawk .41 mag and that thing kicked like an angry pirate!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great revolver. Mine has traveled many miles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome way to start! Been eyeballing those myself

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a VERY nice start ...

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    That's a VERY nice start ...

Damn Jerry, great collection. I've probably had at least that many revolvers, but many of them were at a time in my life (especially in the military, that I couldn't afford to own them all at once. I had to try one and trade it for another. Favorites were Black Hawks and Red Hawks for hunting. Wish I could have them all back, so if you will, just ship those to me, and I'd be cool with that. Seriously, the most beautiful revolver I ever handled was a colt python. The trigger felt like it was not only light, but on ball bearings. Those things go for a few ounces of gold around here now, and I have constant regrets that I never bought one, or while I was younger, wasn't in the position to buy one. Around here, you couldn't buy one for less than a bucket full of gold. All kidding aside, nice herd there.

FT
    NRA Life Member