Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
Advertised BC and actual BC are two totally different beasts. Then there's the issue of consistency from lot to lot, and the fact that they're still not tipping them.
I am a total open book for the next 'big' build (or purchase) I do. I still might be quite a ways off due to finances and stuff. I haven't decided on a caliber just yet... I am basically 'window shopping' while I learn stuff.

As of right now if I was rich I would build or buy an AR10 that I have always wanted and then also build a custom bolt rig that can shoot long range (1600+ or a mile or so).

Right now my thinking is that a 6.5 CM would scratch my itches better. Firstly I will and do reload. Dropping $5000 bucks on a rifle setup for 98% pure steel shooting fun I think the 6.5 would be a reasonable choice. Even with these expensive ass bullets I could probably reload for a lot more reasonable rate. After the price of brass is factored out I could probably be shooting for .50 cents to .75 cents a round. If I chose different more common bullets probably much less. Basically I could afford to shoot it at that price. For less than $100 bucks I could go have a whole day of fun.

That caliber and bullet combos basically offers me the ability to shoot far for less $$ as other options. For me the decision is much more about the best allocation of funds. Shooting sure as hell isn't a cheap sport so I have to figure my best bang. If I ever did go hunting for example I am certain a 6.5 CM would smoke bambi in a heartbeat. That said I am not a big hunter per se (not for lack of desire) so most if not all of my shooting is entertainment purposes only.

The long range bug though is like crack. It's addictive as hell. I like shooting all kinds of things, but getting in the zone and laying them out there far is awesome. It's relaxing, requires a lot of concentration, but also gives me that 'high'. I don't know how I will get from point A to B but I am going to get there eventually even if I have to buy stuff part by part over time.