Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Regarding mounts... I have a CMT lower 1/3 mount that works great. It's not QD, but I am wondering if there is anything other than sheer personal preference to optic height?

Scopes and whatnot are not included in this discussion. Just RDS.

QD is great if your RD goes down, you pop it off, put it in your pocket, flip up the irons and keep bangin away. I also found out from my insurance company that anything on my rifles that mounts as a QD isnt considered part of the rifle if its stolen so they cover it as personal property since the firearms are only covered to a certain amount. Just an added bonus. Absolute CO-W requires me to lower my cheek weld down to where it feels stupid. Lower 3rd feels like a natural cheek weld. Guess it kinda depends on your facial structure. Put the rifle up to your shoulder, close your eyes, drop your cheek onto the stock and settle in naturally with your eyes closed. Now open your eyes, and look through the optic, thats your natural cheek weld...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    QD is great if your RD goes down, you pop it off, put it in your pocket, flip up the irons and keep bangin away. I also found out from my insurance company that anything on my rifles that mounts as a QD isnt considered part of the rifle if its stolen so they cover it as personal property since the firearms are only covered to a certain amount. Just an added bonus. Absolute CO-W requires me to lower my cheek weld down to where it feels stupid. Lower 3rd feels like a natural cheek weld. Guess it kinda depends on your facial structure. Put the rifle up to your shoulder, close your eyes, drop your cheek onto the stock and settle in naturally with your eyes closed. Now open your eyes, and look through the optic, thats your natural cheek weld...
    Primary Arms Advanced Microdot Scope. About $170 bucks. No, it's not a T1 or T2 but I tested one for a couple of weeks, and was pretty impressed. I put it up on the Pay it Forward thread a few years ago. I didn't do anything stupid like freeze it in a block of ice and blast it out with dynamite, or throw it out the window of a fighter jet traveling MACH 3, but the dot was very good in sunlight, and I did put it into the fridge to see if it was sealed good enough not to form condensation inside. Passed those tests with flying colors. Also, only water proof to about 10 meters. I couldn't swim that far down anyways. I think Naytwan snagged it when I gave it away, you might PM him and ask how it worked out for him.

Stone, what insurance company is that? I can't find any home owners insurance co.'s that will cover firearms even if your safe is as secure as Fort Knox. Is it a company that just specializes guns? I think I get a tiny amount of insurance through the NRA, but I don't think it amounts to jack squat.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 20 May 2019 at 20:52.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Stone, what insurance company is that? I can't find any home owners insurance co.'s that will cover firearms even if your safe is as secure as Fort Knox. Is it a company that just specializes guns? I think I get a tiny amount of insurance through the NRA, but I don't think it amounts to jack squat.

FT
    State Farm. My HO policy is good to like 5K on firearms. But all the stuff on my rifles that has a QD is considered Personal property. Red dots, lights, etc,etc... A T2, X300u is an easy grand times each rifle. Adds up quick... So in the unlikely event of theft or fire or whatever I can recoop more.
    Last edited by Stone; 20 May 2019 at 20:52.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    State Farm. My HO policy is good to like 5K on firearms. But all the stuff on my rifles that has a QD is considered Personal property. Red dots, lights, etc,etc... A T2, X300u is an easy grand times each rifle. Adds up quick... So in the unlikely event of theft or fire or whatever I can recoop more.
    I have SF, as well. Just buy a supplemental policy from them and cover it all by serial #. It's not much, and it eliminates guesswork.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have typically not been a big fan of QD mounts because my early exposure to them were cheap junky Chinese made shit. It wasn't until I got here (on WEVO) several years back that I had my first encounter with quality QD and that was the mount that came with my Atlas bipod.

With something of that quality, I could live with a QD. I could in theory just get a good QD mount and move the T2 I have between my two SBR's but that would get old after a while.

As far as storage, theft etc... at least for the past several years and whatnot all of my guns are kept in a very secure place with people around almost 24-7. Later on when I build my own estate with my own shooting gallery and lanes and what not I would probably build with storage, fire and security in mind.

As far as the height of the mount goes this is one downside to shooting by myself 90% of the time. I never get to try out other people's stuff. Trying something for 5 or 10 minutes often is an 'AHA!' moment or it's a nahhh moment.

Spending a lot of money on random stuff that isn't really up to par, or that I have zero experience with is part of the reason I am more picky about where and on what I spend my money these days.