Thread: SBR Reloads

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another powder I’d try is 2000-MR. Been hard to find but it offers the velocity without the pressure spikes like CFE223.

I recently grabbed an 8# of it; works well in .308 and .223 heavy.

I’d be curious to see how Hornady’s SBR specific ammo/powder charge differs from a non-SBR variant of an identical bullet weight. Might just have some additional flash suppressant in it, who knows

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Another powder I’d try is 2000-MR. Been hard to find but it offers the velocity without the pressure spikes like CFE223.

I’d be curious to see how Hornady’s SBR specific ammo/powder charge differs from a non-SBR variant of an identical bullet weight. Might just have some additional flash suppressant in it, who knows
    I went ahead and bought #8 of TAC even though I want to keep on testing. It checked every box of what I wanted to accomplish. Yes, powder availability has been a big pain so this factored in to the decision to just get some. I have plenty of other powders to shoot but I have had this question in the back of my mind for a while now.

In my opinion there is obviously a market for 'sbr specific ammo', but like I said if you watch that video on the Hornady stuff the velocities were pretty low using the same grain weight of bullet. 180+fps is quite a lot, which begs the question that if I can do it why didn't Hornady? On a side note I am not worried about flash at all. Not even 2% of my thinking worries about flash. LOL.

If I can find 4-5 interesting powders in stock at the same place I will definitely buy them and try, but that might be years away from ever happening. Who knows if I will see powders on the actual shelf locally either. I was going to buy #16 of TAC but I have other expenses coming up so I just did one. It should last me a while to be honest because I shoot/reload more than one type of gun.

On a side note TAC can also be used in 6 ARC so that's a bonus too I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post

BTW do you have (or have a friend with) a short barrel (10.5, 11.5 etc) that you could test out and get velocity data for?

If I can find people that have these various powders already it would be extremely nice. This last test cost about $250. Given I have a broader assortment of powders now but it would be nice to kind of cut the chase a bit.