Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Planning my next build - a midlength

Now that I've made progress on existing AR projects I'd like to build a light, handy 14.5" or 16" midlength carbine for general use.

Most of the build is pretty easy to plan:

* AGP Arms lower receiver (I like their stuff)
    * BCM A3 or Vltor MUR-1A upper receiver
    * BCM BCG
    * Magpul CTR, MOE PG and Enhanced TG

Some details still need to be determined. For one thing I haven't decided what to do for a FF rail - this is going to have a pinned FSB plus I want a contiguous top rail (but not a monolithic upper). I'm tempted to use a Troy MRF with the factory barrel nut; I've also been wanting to try a Daniel Defense Lite rail. I think a 9" DD Lite will win out.

The other thing I'm fighting with is the barrel - whether to go 14.5 with a permed FH or 16". I'd like top quality for this one but also want to keep it light and have a fixed FSB. I'd love a Noveske Afghan 14.5... but from what I can tell he doesn't offer it with a fixed pinned FSB so I'd have to go with an 11" rail and a fixed front BUIS (not the end of the world.) It's also a little heavier contour than I'd like but I'd put up with it for Noveske quality.

Any other lighter weight high quality 14.5" barrel suggestions that would let me keep a pinned FSB? I want to be sure I've considered what's out there before I start thinking about having a barrel reprofiled.

Doing this as a 16" would sure hell of a lot easier - "hello, Bravo Company?"
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 9 January 2010 at 11:36. Reason: Corrections