Downloads
    Uploads

Review of the Lucid HD7 Red Dot Sight

Part One: Introductory Review

The Lucid HD7 arrived well packaged. Nestled within a foam insert within the box was the HD7 itself protected in a clear plastic bag which included a desiccant pack.

The 2X magnifier was secured within a plastic bag as well, and given added protection with bubble wrap. Included with the optic and magnifier was the Operators Manual and a lens cloth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HD7 is robust and the optic feels very sturdy. The aluminum frame is rubber armor protected, and the rubber is well applied with tight seams and adheres to the optic contours. The glass is clear, and has a very light tint, but is not tinted as pronounced as with other RDS’s.

The HD7 is designed to mount on Weaver as well as Picatinny rails, and is secured by two 13mm 6-point slotted nuts. The mounting base height of the HD7 provides for a lower 1/3rd co-witness when used in conjunction with a BUIS. The mount is an integral part of the optic frame assembly and does not allow for the adapting of quick release type mounts manufactured by other optic companies.

The ELEVATION and WINDAGE turrets have positive adjustments with a solid audible click. According to Lucid specs, the clicks are equal to ˝ MOA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HD7 is powered by one AAA battery which is housed within the front of the optic base. The battery cap is tethered to the optic body with a wire cable encased in black heat shrink. The battery cap is o-ring sealed against the elements. According to Lucid’s Specs, the HD7 has an estimated battery life of 1000 hours. The sight powers itself down automatically after two hours of operation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HD7 gives the operator the option of four different reticles.

- 2MOA Dot
    - 2MOA Dot With Outer Circle
    - Circle With Crosshairs
    - Crosshairs

Reticle adjustment via the RETICLE SELECTION TURRET was positive and solid.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HD7 has two reticle brightness modes, AUTO and MANUAL. Pressing the ON/OFF button once powers up the HD7 in AUTO mode. In this mode the light sensor positioned on top of the optic body regulates reticle brightness based off the shooters lighting conditions. Moving into and out of varying lighting conditions proved the AUTO regulation of the reticle brightness to be very quick and responsive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pressing the ON/OFF button a second time switches the optic into MANUAL mode. Pressing the ON/OFF button once more reverts the optic into the AUTO mode.

Switching between modes is indicated to the shooter by a sequence of reticle flashes. Switching from AUTO mode to MANUAL mode, the reticle flashes slowly four times. Going from MANUAL mode back into AUTO mode, the reticle flashes rapidly approximately 10 times or for a period of about 2-3 seconds.

MANUAL mode provides 9 levels of reticle brightness adjustment. There was no apparent reticle “wash-out” in bright sunlight.

Pressing and holding the ON/OFF button for three seconds powers down the sight. ON/OFF button inputs are solid and responsive, as well are the reticle brightness button inputs for MANUAL mode.

Downloads
    Uploads
    HD7 with 2X Magnifier attached. The Magnifier screwed easily into the eye piece of the optic and is o-ring sealed when installed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HD7 mounted.

With the Magpul MBUS installed showing clearance and fit.

The HD7 set for the 2MOA dot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HD7 mounted with 2X Magnifier installed.

With the 2X Magnifier installed showing clearance and fit with the Magpul MBUS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Part Two of the Lucid HD7 review.

For ease of zeroing, the HD7 was initially sighted in at 25m. The task of zeroing was standard as with any red dot sight. The elevation and windage turrets moved freely with a positive audible mechanical “click”. Ammo used for the review was Federal’s .223 REM 55 grain FMJ in the 100 rd Value Pack. Not considered precision ammo by any means, but accurate enough I feel for the zeroing and function checking that was ahead of me. The weapon platform used in the review, was a factory new unfired Spike’s Tacticle 16” Piston Upper Receiver mounted on a RRA lower receiver with a standard carbine stock.

Once I was satisfied with the 25m zero, I moved out to the 50m target. With the ammo used, average groups with the HD7 set to the 2MOA single dot, or the single dot/circle reticle were 2” to 2.5“. The 2MOA dot was easy to pick up in bright sunlight, but my favorite reticle out of the four, was the 2MOA dot/circle. Similar to the EOTech, I found this reticle easy to place on target.

The crosshair reticle provided similar groups as the 2MOA dot or the dot/circle combination, but I feel is still too thick for real precision work. The loosest group shot was with the circle/crosshair combination reticle, and this seems to make sense since the center of this reticle is open.

Switching from one reticle to the next showed no noticeable shift in POI.

The Auto Brightness feature under today's conditions seemed a bit too bright for this shooter. I quickly found myself switching to Manual Mode which functioned flawlessly.

With a firing position just slightly aft of NTCH, a very faint shadow of the LED emitter was noticeable on the left side of the FOV. Not overly distracting, moving in tighter, the FOV increases and the shadow fades from view.

I can report that there was no loosening of the HD7’s mount. After firing about 120rds, I checked the mounting nuts for tightness and found them as snug as I originally set them.

For first range session impressions, the HD7 seems like a valid candidate for those who can’t afford the higher end red dot sights on the market, but are still looking for a quality optic.

For HD7 pricing and availability please visit the Lucid web site at:

http://www.mylucidgear.com

Quib
    Weapon Evolution Staff

Downloads
    Uploads
    After some criticism of the LED emitter presence in the FOV of the HD7, I took the optic back out today for a second range session and additional photos.

The optic was removed from the host weapon after the initial review. Upon re-installing it for today’s range session, I can report that the Return To Zero after removal showed no significant signs of shifting of the Point of Impact. Below is the first group shot at 50M to verify zero. (Target squares are 1 inch.)

As reported in my initial review, the eye relief of the HD7 is critical in order to avoid the presence of a shadow from the LED emitter showing in the L/H side of the FOV. Moving in to close the eye relief, the shadow of the LED emitter fades. (See photos below.)

With the 2X Magnifier installed, and the eye relief adjusted, the LED emitter still produced a slight shadow in the L/H side of the FOV. Although not disturbing to this shooter, I could not get the shadow to fade from view as was the case with the FOV without the 2X converter. (See photos below.)

The 2X converter does provide for a very clear and crisp view of the target, and was easy to install and remove.

Below are the results of 100M target engagements with and without the 2X Magnifier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Questions?
    Comments?
    Suggestions?

If you have any of the above, feel free to join the ongoing discussion in the “Components & Accessories Discussion ” Forum at the link below:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-review-is-up.