Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

12.5" 5.56 barrel for SBR

I'm considering options while waiting for the tax stamp on a From 1 Noveske lower. I decided on a 12.5" barrel to give the option of mounting the SPR/M4 also waiting on paperwork. I'll be using the rifle for carbine matches, classes, general good times, and shooting out to 300 yards. No plans on re-enacting the Battle of Wanat. Ammo will include steel-cased brands.

The three main barrels I'm considering are (1) Centurion Arms, (2) Daniel Defense Lightweight, and (3) Noveske Stainless. The price difference doesn't matter. My initial inclination was for the Centurion and DD barrels, but Noveke's stainless barrels apparently hold up quite well in hard use. The Noveske's midweight profile seems quite appealing to me. One of my AR-15s sports a Centurion 16" midweight barrel, and I can't say enough good things about it. I'm not sure if the SPR/M4's MITRE mount, which sits back over the barrel, would cause trouble with the lightweight DD barrel.

I'd appreciate comments on choosing one of these barrels over the other, particularly in regards to running the can. This is my first foray into NFA territory, and I'm sure that there are considerations I'm missing (e.g., adjustable gas block). I'm also undecided between a Vltor 10" VIS and a Vltor MUR + LaRue 10" handguard.

—Andreas
    Last edited by Stubb; 3 March 2011 at 09:34.