Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Gear Sector GS-2P Review

Initial reflections on the Gear Sector GS-2P fall into a few categories for me. I should point out that the variant that I have is a preproduction version, and its possible that there may be changes when it goes into full production. The picture shown is a poor one, but I'll get better ones up shortly.

Modular Ability:

Modular attachments for the entire Gear Sector lineup allow for a multi use platform based off the specific mission requirements of the weapon assignee. There is no question that the current sling systems from Gear Sector are well thought out and effective, and that they are in use with our military in the GWOT, as well as in the cruisers and special teams of America’s Law Enforcement Officers. Three gun shooters as well as other shooting enthusiasts from California to Denmark rely on the Gear Sector sling line as well.

One of the highlights I’ve found with my Gear Sector ASP single point sling has been the ability to retain the weapon attachment stub while switching back and forth with the ASP-V which resides on my hard armor. The GS-2P two point sling continues in this tradition, and the same stub now consents to a third member in its family.

Construction:

The construction of the GS-2P retains the superior quality of the Gear Sector lineup. All Gear Sector slings are:
    • MIL-W-5625 1″ tubular nylon webbing
    • MIL-VT-295 #69 bonded nylon thread
    • ITW GhillieTex™ brand hardware
    • Double box stitch construction
    • Made in the USA
    The ITW GhillieTex buckles, and other hardware is color matched to the webbing, and boasted a reduced IR signature. Stitching is double box, which provides high durability, with mil spec nylon thread assuring a long service life. On a side note, its good to see a manufacturer who ensures all products and materials are made in the USA.

Why the Two Point Sling?

To answer the above question, lets take a look at the offerings in the world of slings. Most single point slings are a basic loop of webbing with an attachment point fastened around it. In general, this provides for a sling that slides around during transition drills, or whenever hands are off the weapon. Granted, the times when your hands should be off the weapons are few and far between. A quality single point sling is a purpose driven piece of equipment. While well suited to life in a CQC environment, the single point sling suffers when used in a generic sling role. I have carried the Gear Sector ASP since its inception, and I feel that its design far surpasses that of any other single point sling I’ve tried, but that is the topic of another review (ASP REVIEW THREAD).

Three point slings hold a weapon more securely, but transitions between shoulders and positional shooting can be difficult. Perhaps more important, is that the three point slings hinder access to the right side of the weapon, and can block the ejection port when in a left handed configuration. There have been times when I’ve run qualifications or training and observed the above issues on a regular basis. I’ve also watched both real world and training events in which a three point sling has gotten snagged on the issued equipment on an officer’s duty belt.

This brings us to two point slings. Its important to note that there are many styles of two point slings, and they are certainly not all the same. A basic two point sling can be obtained from most sporting stores, or created out of extra webbing. This works fine for walking through the woods with the sling over your shoulder, and should prove to be fine for a support when wrapping it around your elbow, but it probably isn’t your best option for tactical work or 3-gun activities. The adjustable two point allows for quick adjustment while being worn by the shooter. This provides real world gains in various shooting positions, work with hands off the weapon, and shooting from the support side.

GS-2P Attributes:

Mentioned earlier in this article, the GS-2P retains the auxiliary stock stub of its brethren. This is nice for an officer like myself who runs his sling off a single point sling mount off the rear of the receiver. However, its worth noting that there are also HK snap hooks, solid stock mounting stubs (used for A2, AK, FAL, shotgun stocks etc.), and a newly released QD Push Button Attachment stub.

The adjustment of the sling is smooth, but not so much that it is going to come undone on its own. Pulling the release retracts the sling, and letting out slack is completed by pulling back on the buckle. The material is laid out in a manner that was not excessively long, and there was no interference during my drills. In addition, the sling is stable enough to use as brace while shooting, which is a certainly a nice benefit.

Above are my initial thoughts after using it for a few days and doing drills. I'll update this thread with better pictures, and more information as I get a chance.

Last edited by Stickman; 26 July 2008 at 13:09.