Page 104 of 140 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2137

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

NiB vs. Suppressor

At GriffonSec's range I ran about 200 suppressed rounds through the AR Pistol (223 Wylde) using 55 grain FMJ reloads with WW748 powder. Stripped the carrier and the bolt, then thoroughly cleaned them with Shooter's Choice. Dried the parts, then put them into a Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner with gun parts cleaner. Ran that for an hour. Dried the parts and took the photo below. It looks like this after cleaning every time I have shot it (used the AAC Suppressor on the first outing). So this is not an anomaly for me. I have no idea how to remove the stains from NiB, or if it is even possible. Doesn't bother me, or affect functionality, but thought I would post the picture.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    At GriffonSec's range I ran about 200 suppressed rounds through the AR Pistol (223 Wylde) using 55 grain FMJ reloads with WW748 powder. Stripped the carrier and the bolt, then thoroughly cleaned them with Shooter's Choice. Dried the parts, then put them into a Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner with gun parts cleaner. Ran that for an hour. Dried the parts and took the photo below. It looks like this after cleaning every time I have shot it (used the AAC Suppressor on the first outing). So this is not an anomaly for me. I have no idea how to remove the stains from NiB, or if it is even possible. Doesn't bother me, or affect functionality, but thought I would post the picture.
    Jerry that's just the way NiB is. You won't be able to get the stains off. I just wipe my NiB carriers down and just generously lube them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the Suppressor won. All of my BCG's are NiB. Some have a little bluish/purple on the tail. That's it. Other than that, none have the discoloration that yours does, but none are suppressed. My somewhat limited recollection of metallurgy tells me that the Nickel is doing what nickel does, when it gets hot and that's turning various colors of blue to purple to light yellow and even brown. I have limited knowledge of suppressors, but do they typically blow a significantly increased amount of really hot gas, back into the BCG? Also, strangely, it appears that the gas rings were not affected so I don't see how gas is blowing by them.

Appears that the CH is getting cooked too. Do you feel any significantly hototer gas than usual, if you get a bit of a puff in the face? I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there is some serious heat flowing through that BCG and around in the receiver to get that CH that hot. There's a product on the market called blue-away. A lot of bikers use it on chrome parts to remove bluing from nickel chrome from engine heat. You can find it at most bike shops and on the net. Works "o.k" on Nickel Chrome, but not sure about Ni Boron.

Hope this helps a little.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 4 June 2017 at 15:15.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks FT for the tip, will definitely check it out. It does get some hot gas and smoke - barrel is only 8.5" - but not a lot of gas in the face. I replaced the forward assist with a gas vent, it actually helps.

[IMG]IMG_1119 Gas Vent Size 1280 by Jerry R, on Flickr[/IMG]
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Avalanche is one of the worst CH's for suppressed as well. Wait for V2. Much better design. I'll make sure you get one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The Avalanche is one of the worst CH's for suppressed as well. Wait for V2. Much better design. I'll make sure you get one.
    Thanks UW. I will write up the diff's in an eval.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just on RA today looking at parts for a friend and noticed it wasn't there anymore. I'll be on the lookout for v2

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've noticed it even shooting without a can, more gas to the face and back at ya..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I've noticed it even shooting without a can, more gas to the face and back at ya..
    Yeah there is a channel directing all the gases into your face on an Avalanche.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah there is a channel directing all the gases into your face on an Avalanche.
    Ya I've noticed..lol

I need something better along with a 16/int barrel so I can handle the recoil...

Downloads
    Uploads
    The carrier looks like burnished nickel. Oh wait...

Not a bad look, unless the user expects a shiny look forever. Does it really take that much effort though? I thought the benefit of NiB is that it wipes clean? Simichrome or Flitz is good for taking heat bluing off of chrome, but I don't know what it would do to the coating. The application is all over the place among manufacturers from flaked to stained.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Avalanche is SUPER tight in every upper I've put it in. Some I don't even get it into.

The SMOS is the only upper it's fit well enough to use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    My Avalanche is SUPER tight in every upper I've put it in. Some I don't even get it into.

The SMOS is the only upper it's fit well enough to use.

We'll have to eventually get you a replacement too. Ended up unloading 2 Avalanches I had purchased over a year ago on arfcom for more than original MSRP

Jerry, your BCG will never look pretty again. Just wipe it down and lube it. It still maintains it's lubricity, just not its looks.

Name:  5S3A5422.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  328.0 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    We'll have to eventually get you a replacement too. Ended up unloading 2 Avalanches I had purchased over a year ago on arfcom for more than original MSRP

Jerry, your BCG will never look pretty again. Just wipe it down and lube it. It still maintains it's lubricity, just not its looks.

Name:  5S3A5422.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  328.0 KB
    It's no biggy as it's working wine where it is.

Well used parts are pretty to me. I'd honestly see more images like this than brand new parts.

Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    But speaking of pristine NiB ...
    Name:  5S3A5429.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  2.33 MB