We all see this, every day if we visit gun forums enough, but something that has had me curious, for many years, in your opinion, what constitutes a "build". Seriously, generally 99% of the time, I'm just assembling a pile of store bought parts.
I've even bought complete uppers, and just acquired and assembled the parts for the lower. Having an engineering background, I can and do most of the machining required on any gun, not just AR's, having the advantage of having friends who own milling machines and lathes. I (We, sometimes a good friend of mine who's eyes and hands are younger helps me) pretty much make jigs and fixtures where required, if we can't just use the common table tools to build one). I "dimple" (actually use a flat end mill and bore a shallow cylinder) my own gas block set screws, and can configure a jig to pin gas blocks if I have to. But it has really occurred to me that I'm not actually "building" anything, I just buy parts and put them where they go. I do use proper tools, such as roll pin punches, starting punches, torque wrenches, an armorers tool, and the right blocks to secure lowers and uppers for work. Probably the most precise thing I have to do is index the barrel 180 degrees from the nub on top of the barrel to properly mill the "dimples" for the gas block. Very easy, but can get tricky at times.

I do see some you tube morons using pliers and counter punches to install roll pins, and other methods that make me cringe,
but all that proves is that anyone with the right camera and knowhow can make a youtube video.

I do not consider myself an armorer by any stretch of the imagination, and sometimes trouble shooting problems prove to be difficult, but I'm lucky enough to know folks who can figure it out if I can't.

So, am I just parsing words here, am I on to something, or what?

Not trying to poke anyone in the eye, just the opposite, I think if anyone replies their perspectives may make a lively and interesting debate.

So, what do you say?

FT