Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Barrels...

Since I have gotten a kick start on my AR build I would like to have a discussion on my next couple of logical components.

The first of which is an AR barrel. As this is going to be a key component I would like to learn a lot more than what I already know and possibly be steered in the right direction.

I am thinking I would like a 1:7 twist because I would like the option to shoot heavier grain bullets.

It must be 16" for this go around because I don't want to have to deal with pinning a brake or doing the NFA thing...but I could be persuaded otherwise if it's not too much of a hassle. Which would mean I could get a shorter rail as well.

And for sheerly cosmetic reasons, it needs to come in black.

I know there are several types of rifling in various barrels but I don't have a comprensive list, nor do I know if they would make a huge difference in my purposes.

Now let's rewind a bit...let me say what I am going to build and how I would like it to function.

I won a CMT upper (thank you thank you thank you! :) ) and I have already ordered a billet CMT lower.

For my rail I am going to invest in a Geissele SMR MK2 15.

I have yet to even consider a muzzle device, trigger, optic, or any of that. But I am trying to keep things focused on the barrel (for now).

My aim is to have an AR (with a reasonable optic) that will be a 100 yard gun. I want the option to reach out to 200 yards, but odds are I will never go beyond that mark. I do put a premium on better accuracy... which of course is also an ammo issue.

I am pretty keen on accuracy that said I am not really talking bench rest accuracy where I would be reloading each round...I would be shooting off the shelf ammo for the most part.

I know some types of rifling would potentially perform differently than others and some might be easier to clean than others...

I hear the term 'cold hammer forged' and 'chrome lined' but what are some other options? (this is designed to educate yours truly not stir up a debate)...

I was poking around the Rainier Arms website and they have 'match series' 'mountain series' 'select series' and 'ultra match'...

Some of that type of terminology gets kind of confusing...I know the bull barrels help with harmonics... those little micro quivers that happen when you pull the trigger can send a round far off way down range...but when we are talking 200 yards is it really an issue?

Please someone lay it all out there (to the best of your ability)....

(Side note: I want my barrel to be 5.56, not just .223)
    Last edited by alamo5000; 19 October 2014 at 19:41.