Here is a picture from awhile back. In fact its long enough back that the AWB was in full swing. This weapon was built up as a basic carbine, and ended up being rebuilt numerous times. In this configuration, I wanted something basic that I could use for iron sight drills, and something along the lines of a truck/ trunk gun.

This weapon served as a duty weapon at one point, but it wasn't in this configuration for long, and I'm not sure that it stayed on the streets for much time at all in this form (it would have at least had a sling).

The upper is a Bushmaster, with 1/9 twist barrel, which shoots any of the issue 55 grain softpoint ammo well enough. The upper came as an A2, which was switched out for a flattop. Yes, I understand the comedic value of getting rid of the A2 and mounting a carry handle to the weapon... feel free to laugh.

The lower receiver is a preban Olympic Arms. The lower is tight in the magwell, and the rear take down pin needs to be tapped (HEAVY taps). It was fine with the upper that came on it, but when I switched over to the above, it didn't seem to like it.

The rail is an early YHM 2 piece drop in rail. It was ultra tight to drop the rails in, and I am still convinced that harsh language is what finally convinced it to go. However, as tight as it was, it loosened up quite a bit (too much for use with a VFG). Eventually I gave the YHM rail away to a LEO buddy after I no longer had a need for it.

The over all basic value of this weapon was high, but it points out a good concept. Its almost always more expensive to buy a weapon and convert it to your liking. In this case, it was a preban weapon during the AWB, so values were a lot different back then.

If you want a flattop, don't settle for an A2. If you want a Forward Assist (and you should), then make sure you get one. You aren't saving any money by swapping out those parts later on unless you got a great deal.