Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothdraw View Post
    Will post the picture later if i got some request for it.

-raymond
    Don't keep us in suspense! Post those pics!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Long-time reader, first-time poster. My rifle started as a CMMG 16" Medium Contour, Mid-length with a Smith Vortex flash hider. I went with CMMG based on recommendations from another forum. Though CMMG may not be considered a top-shelf brand, I felt the overall value and build-to-order options made it a good choice.

This was my first rifle, and there were many things I didn't take into consideration, such as weight. The rail is a Daniel Defense 12.0 Omega Rail over a CMMG Micro Gas Block. Optic is an Eotech 512 with Troy BUIS. A Magpul CTR stock, MIAD grip, GG&G foregrip, and Troy rear swivel sling mount finish off the build.

The rifle was very accurate, but HEAVY. The extended rail length and thicker barrel contour made it difficult to maneuver. I had to send back the Eotech 512 because the factory supplied batteries corroded and leaked inside the battery case.

After some hands-on experience with the rifle and additional research, I sold the upper and optic to fund a lighter weight build. This is my current set-up. It's intended as a general purpose rifle because, as of now, it's my only rifle.

The upper has a pinned CMMG piston system with a Daniel Defense 14.5" carbine-length, CHF barrel with 1/7 twist. CMMG didn't have M4 profile barrels at the time, so I went with the Daniel Defense. I doubt I'd ever wear out a normal barrel, but having the added benefits of a CHF barrel puts my mind at ease. The barrel wears an 18T AAC Blackout flash hider, pinned and welded by Adco.

I've read several posts from Adco pointing out flaws in CMMG's barrels and drawbacks to piston ARs. I expected a stern lecture, but what I got was excellent work.

The optic is an Aimpoint Comp M3 in a Larue mount. I went with the Comp M3 over the Eotech for its longer battery life and durability. I could get on target faster with the Eotech, but I felt the benefits of the CompM3 were greater. The Aimpoint T1 was an option, but it was more expensive.

I have a Surefire G2 LED in a Gear Sector Offset Mount. I originally had a Larue Offset Mount. It was an excellent, high quality piece of kit but it took up too much space on the 7" Daniel Defense Omega Rail. The mount is positioned so I can activate the G2's tailcap without adjusting my grip. I'd prefer to have the foregrip further out, but there isn't much room on the carbine-length rail.

I added a Magpul ASAP to use with a Magpul MS2 sling. I also added a Magpul BAD lever and Magpul Enhanced Stock pad. I don't have a lot of mass, so anything to help with recoil management is a plus. The only thing I plan to add to this build is a Magpul Rail Sling Adapter and an AAC M4-1000 suppressor.

For this build, I wanted high quality components while trying to minimize cost. After reading countless back and forth debates on direct gas-impingement vs. piston ARs, I went with a piston system. I haven't put enough rounds through the rifle to make a definitive assessment, but it shoots reliably and handles much better than my first build.

I don't foresee using this rifle for home defense or in an emergency, but I feel it will operate reliably in any given situation. I do plan on putting this rifle through some carbine courses and shooting it extensively. It's not meant to be a safe queen.

In the future, I'd consider another mid-length, direct-gas impingement AR in an SPR style build. For now, I can't complain if this is the only rifle I have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So Smoothdraw are you going to post pictures of your 3gun Noveske? I am very interested in seeing how that looks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up My Go-To AR

This began as the American Snipers Edition LWRC M6A2-S from Northwest Tactical

What this edition includes (if you haven't seen their threads):

- Cerakote FDE color
    - M6A2-S (stretched midlength piston upper)
    - 14.7" SPIRAL fluted barrel (shaves 20% of barrel weight)
    - AAC Blackout flash hider (PA) with suppressor mount
    - Geissele SSA 2 stage trigger
    - BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (med) charging handle
    - 36" LWRC case
    - t shirt, etc

What I've added:

- LMT SOPMOD stock (blk) - added for cheek weld and solid feel
    - Magpul MIAD grip (blk) - added for grip and storage
    - Magpul aluminum trigger guard (blk) - gloves firing
    - LWRC BUIS by Troy (traded for black)
    - TangoDown short vert grip with QD - just enough to get good pull into the shoulder
    - TangoDown SCAR rail panels on sides - light, thin, and great grip
    - Magpul Ladder rail covers on top/bottom - lightweight; they serve their purpose!
    - Surefire X300 light mounted at 9:00 (activated with thumb in "crotch grip") - light and BRIGHT
    - Daniel Defense rear receiver QD socket mount - Sling doesn't get in way of shoulder or cheek when firing
    - Larue Tactical VTAC padded sling with QD buttons - Love the adjust feature and is very comfortable and durable
    - Aimpoint T-1 RDS with Larue 660 tall mount - lightweight and bombproof
    - Aimpoint 3x Magnifier on flip to side Larue 649 tall mount - good for extending range of the T-1
    - Troy ambidextrous bolt release - I'm playing with this to see if it really speeds up reloading
    - Engraved ejection port cover for fun
    - bunch of PMAGS and Ranger plates

I think it's finally set up exactly how I want it. I can remove the light and/or 3x magnifier if I want to lighten it up for carbine courses during daytime, etc.

Let me know what you think!

(case is filled with 9 full PMAGS and 270 rounds ready to rock)

view with mag flipped out of the way

love this position much better than the QD in the stock

wow this stock is SOLID

Downloads
    Uploads
    I posted the pictures in my original posting. Sorry for the delay. Holidays + work + honey do lists... you know the drill...

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus_1354 View Post
    So Smoothdraw are you going to post pictures of your 3gun Noveske? I am very interested in seeing how that looks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of my favorite rifles. It is an LMT 10.5" SBR with a Colt BCG. It is equiped with a KAC M4 RAS, a Surefire scout light, and a SOPMOD buttstock. It originally had a regular collapsable stock on it, but I swapped it out and really like the SOPMOD.

I have been mainly using HK magazines with it but it does well with USGI mags too.

The sling is a specter three point IIRC and the light is mounted on a YHM offset as the factory scout mount just does not cot the mustard in ease of use and keeps the light way to close to the rail for my liking.

I am using an aimpoint CompM2 and Matech BUIS. Only issue I have is that I have trouble getting my PVS14's to fit behind the scope, so I have been mounting it in the front when used.

Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice pics DM....especially that first one!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Quib, it is mainly all photoshop. I took a picture of my buddy in gear with my rifle. I took multiple shots against a white background and photoshopped that background and the smoke and light all in it.
    Tactical Fat Guy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bushmaster SBR
    The only thing left of the original Bushmaster are the roll marks.

12.5" barrel
    11" LaRue quad rail
    Aimpoint Comp M4s optic
    Timney 3# trigger
    KNS anti-roll pins
    Noveske KX3 'flaming pig' flash suppressor
    BCM FA Bolt Carrier Group
    BCM Gunfighter CH
    Magpul BUS
    Magpul CTR stock
    Magpul MIAD battle grip
    Magpul AFG
    Magpul BAD lever
    Magpul ladder rail covers
    Magpul 20 round magazines with ranger plates
    Viking Tactical padded sling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DM1975 View Post
    Thanks Quib, it is mainly all photoshop. I took a picture of my buddy in gear with my rifle. I took multiple shots against a white background and photoshopped that background and the smoke and light all in it.
    VERY Nicely done !!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads

This is my first build from the ground up.

Originally it was going to be a 16" Russian 5.45x39 build with an Adam's Arms piston kit. Its kind of funny how plans change.
    It ended up being a 20" 7.62x39 Russian that I used for hunting season!
    It consists of:

SNS Industries "Skull" Lower Receiver
    DPMS lower parts kit
    18lb hammer spring
    A2 buttstock from Olympic Arms
    Rainier Arms flat top upper
    CAA UPG 16 pistol grip
    20" E.R. Shaw Chrome-moly Heavy Barrel 1:10 Twist with Rifle Length Gas System
    The Wilderness™ Giles Tactical 3-Point Right Hand A2 Sling
    Burris 1" Extra High Matte Black Xtreme Tactical Rings
    Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40 w/ Multi X Reticle
    Olympic Arms Free Floating Rifle Length Hand guard
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard

I really need to get a low pro gas block to improve its looks, but it shoots great and served its purpose this year! :D

"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin

Downloads
    Uploads
    I attempted to make one weapon that would do everything decently well enough to get me by. My current position has all but relegated this to being a HD and training weapon with the occasional hunting trip thrown in for good measure.

I started out with a BCM middy for obvious reasons. I am currently running a Surefire brake simply because it is what I had on hand and it's previous performance on a SBR I had. I am looking at possibly having the barrel cut down to 14.5" and pinning a BattleComp 1.5 to shave a bit of weight.

The handguard is a VTAC, I liked the idea of a free floating tube with enough space for me to run whatever light/sling mount/BUIS I wanted while still allowing me to run my hand further out on the rail. The light is a X200 since I have the X300 mounted on my pistol. It works okay for indoor work but I have wanted a bit more light at times when working outdoors, I might end up with a VTAC L4 mounted in a DCC mount like I run on my other carbine.

For irons I went with a LMT front with a Trjicon post and the rear is a Larue with a CSAT aperture. Knowing that I am simple creature I thought this to be a fairly quick system to use in the case of my Aimpoint going TU on me. The tritium front will give me a nice index in low light and the CSAT ensures all I have to do it put the front sight where I want the bullet to go.

As for the RDS, it is simply an old M2 that refuses to die. It has made a few trips around the block and although it probably should have given up the ghost a long time ago it still kicking. I have it in a Larue mount that also has proven to be quite reliable.

The Redi-Mod is there in case I need to grab the rifle from the trunk or closet and go. As a patrol rifle I might not have the time to grab the go-bag so this helps to at least handle the spare ammo issue. When it is living by the bedside it should be pretty obvious as to how it will come in handy.

All of the internals are stock save for the Timney trigger that I simply love. It has been 100% reliable thus far and helps me to deliver quick and accurate followup shots. I have thought about swapping it out for a SSA given their great reliability record but I greatly prefer the single stage Timney.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    I really like the idea of an offset scout mount with that rail - my version of that will wear the GearSector version, but with the pressure switch I moved the light back so the head was flush with the end of my RIS, trying to keep the weight farther back, with the offset putting the light at the 1:30 position.

Have you looking into the TangoDown stubby?
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally have a good enough picture to take a stab at my latest layout(s) for my wife's rifle and my project SBR.

Lower: Knight's Armament SR-15 IWS Lower. Best set of ambidextrous features on the market.
    Pistol Grip: MagPul MOE. Completely better than the A2, and cheap. The second SR15 lower will come with one already installed.
    Stock: While I like the SOPMOD, I still prefer the EMOD, and even more so the ACS. Changes to come there.
    Buffer: Spike's ST-2. The SR15 marked buffer follows my SR15 upper.

Upper: Daniel Defense Forged Upper
    Barrel: Daniel Defense CHF 16" Lightweight Middy. Soon to be 14.5" - hence the 1.5 BattleComp
    Gas Block: VLTOR Low profile. Simple, and will get pinned along with the muzzle brake.
    Front Sight: Daniel Defense Fixed. Again, simple, light, and works extremely well with the X300
    Rear Sight: TROY BUIS. Was still in box for picture. Shy bugger.

Optic: Aimpoint T-1 on KAC Absco Mount. It works, and it's light. The KAC isn't my favorite micro mount, but it works.
    Weaponlight: Surefire X300. Mounted at 12:00, it's plenty ambidextrous, to complement the ambi lower.

S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just assembled my first upper, I had been wanting a Mk12 Mod 0 clone for a while, but after seeing the ASA side charger upper, I decided to build my own. This rifle is still WIP, I need the PEQ-2-3 mount, and then decide whether I will get a different lower or not. After testing it with the POF lower, It had some wiggle which I did not like. The LMT was VERY tight, and it still balanced well with the SOPMOD stock.

Most of the guts (barrel, PRI tube, Bolt) were supplied by Rainier Arms. Excellent customer service, and their no-cost bolt/barrel headspace service was definitely a boon.

Contents:
    ASA Side Charger Upper, M4 feed ramps
    ASA chrome Bolt Carrier, Young MFG bolt, headspaced to barrel by Rainier Arms
    White Oak Armament 18" SS SPR pattern barrel, rifle length gas, 1/7 twist, .223 Wylde chamber
    PRI Gen 3 tube
    PRI front sight, crossbolt version
    Gas Tube from BCM
    Viking MK2 padded sling, MK3 buttstock adapter, MI QD sling swivel up front
    ARMS #40 rear sight (not installed in pics due to height, had to use my Troy rear sight to clear the scope
    Larue SPR-S scope mount
    SWFA 3-9X SS scope, First Focal Plane
    Larue QD bipod mount, Harris benchrest bipod

Shown fitted on both POF billet lower W/A1 stock. *** I have now added some much better pictures, may have gotten a bit carried away!!!***

Also appearing is an M4A1 clone, with BCM 16" M4 pattern upper, BCM BCG, BCM Gunfighter handle, ARMS #40(until I get the rail for the Mk12, then it goes back to my M.I. A2 style folding site), Knights M4 RAS, all on top of an LMT lower with ERGO grip and SOPMOD stock. I think my Surefire is a 660, not sure though. Also has the Viking Mk2 padded sling using QD attachments front and rear. I currently use a Burris red dot, as I got it for cheap at a gun show used. Has worked very well, fulfills its function nicely for its price, mounted in an ADCO cantilever mount.

Last edited by LanceCriminal; 1 January 2011 at 15:14. Reason: Better pictures!