Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

I’ve had a couple of years to put some rounds through my SBR and have made some changes to the configuration as I have figured out what I like and don’t like. As a baseline, I started with a 12.5” BCM Kino upper on a SBR’ed Spikes lower (pictured below). Overall, I really like where this gun is at build-wise. It’s my primary whenever I hit the range.

Upper & Barrel: 12.5” Centurion barrel in BCM upper
    I stuck with the 12.5” length but found that I didn’t like having the FSB in my line of sight. The BCM barrel shot great (popped some 6” and 12” steel at 400 yds with a 1-5x optic) but I was intrigued by the reviews of durability and high accuracy with Monty’s barrels. I sold the Kino barrel assembly and a couple of other parts I had laying around and picked up a CA 12.5” barrel. My initial sight in at 50 yards with a Mk 262 clone produced the target below (5 shots…I was pleased for my ability):

Muzzle Device: Surefire MB556K brake
    Through some testing I have done at my job, I got a chance to try a variety of muzzle brakes and flash hiders. I found that I liked the recoil impulse and muzzle control that it provided. MN is still not suppressor-friendly but if that ever changes (or I move) I also like having the option to use it as a suppressor mount. It’s loud and brutal to other shooters nearby (or me if I shoot indoors) but I still love it.

Bolt Carrier Group/Charge handle: BCM mil-spec BCG and Gunfighter Charge Handle (Mod 4)
    I’m still running the Bravo BCG but have added one of the Gunfighter handles and really like the additional purchase and general bulletproof feel of it. I bought it on a whim and was instantly pissed knowing that I was going to have to buy one for every other AR I own or build.

Handguards: Daniel Defense MFR 12.0
    Through work, I got a chance to try out the MFR on this gun and really like the light weight and smaller diameter as compared to the previous setup with the MOE handguard. I liked that the entire barrel was covered and I also like DD’s method of attaching rail sections that does not use any backing plate that had to be fished around inside the tube. I do plan on eventually swapping over to an 11” rail of some kind. I switch out muzzle devices on occasion for testing at work and the 12” rail does not allow for easy access to the wrench flats on most hiders and brakes. I’m liking both the Noveske NSR and Troy Alpha rails but have also considered a KAC URX II or getting creative with a Bridgeport on a Centurion 12” rail.

BUIS and Optic: Troy Folding and ….Undecided
    The DD A1.5 sight was replaced for the same reason as the FSB; I just prefer having nothing in my line of sight when using an optic. The DD was replaced with a set of Troy folding sights. I honestly haven’t used them yet so can’t give much of an opinion on them. For an optic, I have been running a Weaver Tactical 1-5x on an American Defense QD Scout mount. Both have worked great and I really like having the variable magnification for distance shots but the FFP design and reticle in the Weaver scope doesn’t work well with me on close-in shots. I’ve borrowed an Aimpoint T1 and plan on running it at a carbine class to see how well I like it.

Lower & Parts:
    I still have this SBR on my Spike’s punisher lower. I have installed an ALG ACT trigger to it and a rear sling mount that a coworker gave me (can’t remember the company, though). I swapped over to a one of the BCM grips and found that the more vertical orientation suits me better. It’s not shown in the original picture but I’m also running one of the BAD ASS safeties. The ACT trigger is nice and smooth but I’m going to tinker a little with some JP springs to see how the pull weight changes feel. I will probably end up installing a Geiselle SSA eventually

Buttstock: Standard M4 stock
    I have temporarily gone back to the M4 stock mounted to an VLTOR A5 buffer system until figure out what I want. For a while, I ran an VLTOR Modstock and a Magpul ASC-L and like them but they seemed overly bulky. The Troy Battle Axe was borrowed from someone who didn't care if I left it on while I painted the gun but is now gone, too. I’ll probably switch over to a Magpul MOE as I like the simple, functional look but don’t need the sling swivel mounts or locking mechanism of the CTR. The A5 system made a pretty drastic (to me) change to the recoil characteristics of the gun as well. It feels very controllable and flat on rapid shot strings. More than one coworker has commented to me on how little (if at all) the muzzle moves during firing. I am actually considering pulling the Surefire brake to see if most of the smoothness of the gun is due to the device or the A5. I do plan on experimenting with heavier buffers and different springs to tune the feel of the gun.

Sling: VCAS
    I went with a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling for the adjustability and reputation. I prefer 2-point configs but currently have it in single-point until I find a good front sling mount (and rail) that I’ll stick with for a while. I was also interested in the SOB B-Sling to shed a little weight but haven’t decided yet.

Light: None yet (not shown)
    I did decide to pick up a single output Surefire P2X Fury in the future, when funds become available. I like the light output this unit offers at the price point. For a mount, I’ll use either an IWC kit or the NSR-specific mount Noveske may release in the future (depending on rail).

Future changes/upgrades:
    Light/mount
    Aimpoint RDS w/ QD mount
    Geiselle SSA trigger
    MOE stock
    Last edited by BC98; 10 October 2012 at 13:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice grouping and post!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by aotech View Post
    Nice grouping and post!
    If you're talking about my post, thank you. I was initially pissed because I was shooting some other ammo at the same time and could see the groups from the firing line and thought I had threw some shots on this group.

Slight update: Shot a short carbine class on Sunday with a T-1 and will definitely be picking up a Micro for this gun. Perfect complement of light weight and I had no issues hitting some steel silhouettes out to a couple of hundred yards. Figured I'd mount it using a QD base and can go back and forth between the RDS and the variable and be good out to some distance. I will also be switching over to a 2-point mounting for the sling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are a few pics of mine.
    It's a Noveske MK18 10.5" upper and a Spikes Tactical lower. Magpul sights, AFG and an Aimpoint PRO.

I am in the process of doing the paperwork to register a Noveske forged lower as an SBR. I want to get some Troy BUIS, an Aimpoint micro and the Magpul ACS stock.

IMG_7441-1 by crat996, on Flickr

IMG_7467-1 by crat996, on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a Noveske MK18 10.5" upper and a Spikes Tactical lower. Magpul sights, AFG and an Aimpoint PRO.

I am in the process of doing the paperwork to register a Noveske forged lower as an SBR. I want to get some Troy BUIS, an Aimpoint micro and the Magpul ACS stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Preface. I am not a collector. I only have 2 pistols setup Identically that I carry and train with. I have 2 carbines that are essentially the same. I have limited training time and thus want it to be on those guns I am going to carry / use. I have gotten rid of everything else save a few .22's.

Bottom gun, top gun was posted about a few pages back.

1. Lower - Lancer - I wanted to try their new lower with Magwell. I am not sold on it yet, and if it offers no advantage I will be dumping it for a forged DD Lower.
    2. Upper - DD Complete upper 14.5" LW
    3. Rail - Troy TRX Alpha - I really like the profile, the lockup is great, and its what I use on my other gun. Very solid and makes direct mounting very easy.
    4. Stock - Magpul STR on VLTOR A-5 System - Excellent Cheek weld without too much of a weight penalty. The A-5 Systems works as advertised, and makes both of my guns match
    5. Grip - MOE+ - I favor the angle and profile of this grip, the rubber overmold has help up well and keeps my hand where I want it
    6. VFG - Magpul MVG - Direct Mounted and length reduced. I only use it as a handstop unless I am shooting in alternate positions where a VFG is useful. This is the perfect length and size for me
    7. Trigger - Geissele SSA - I love this trigger, and its the same in both of my guns.
    8. Safety - BATTLE ARMS SASS 45 Degree throw. I find this safety has a more positive detent and the 45 degree throw helps me get it back on safety when I need to. Its well made and works well for me.
    9. Optic - Swarovski Z6i BRT - I just got this. On a timer I can get the same times with this at 1x as I can with a Micro. Same gun, ammo, etc. I will be shooting it at a VTAC 1.5 class in 2 weeks to see how it shakes down.
    10. Mount - Larue - I don't think a better mount exists yet
    11. BUIS - Magpul MBUS Gen 2 - They are light, low profile and work well for a backup sighting system
    12. Light - Surefire M600c Scout - Excellent pattern, easy mounting (Direct Mounted to Rail) - and robust.
    13. Laser - LDI IR OTAL - I found the simplistic controls of the OTAL worked great for the limited time I use an IR laser. Its lighter and smaller than a DBAL. It is direct Mounted to save weight.
    14. Pressure Switch - Surefire SR-D-IT Dual Switch - I have gone back and forth between pressure switches and clicky caps. I have finally settled on this configuration
    15. Sling & Mounts - Noveske Rear, Mount-N-Slot low profile Front - VTAC Sling - The best combination of low profile and adjustability.
    16. Muzzle Device - AAC 51t Blackout - For use with my Mini-4. And I despise brakes.
    17. Charging Handle - BCM Gunfighter Medium - Perfect size and works as advertised. Works very well with gloves

I "think" I have finally settled on my perfect configuration. The only difference between the two guns are 1. Optics and 2. Slightly increased LOR on the 14.5" Gun. Everything else is as identical as I can make it.

So far I am happy with the Z6i, I have tried a few 1-x's and this one seemed like the best deal. If it doesnt work out at the next class I am going to go back to a T-1 on this carbine.
    President - Unity Tactical - Innovative. Adaptive. Decisive.
    www.UnityTactical.com
    www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
    Or the aching of this life
    Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by crat996 View Post

So what made you go with the parts and components that you selected?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rifle: Daniel Defense M4V3 midlength
    Purpose: rifle for home-defense/training classes/range use

My first AR-pattern rifle was a Rock River midlength, bought shortly after the AWB expired. I purchased it when I was new to the AR platform, and not aware of the quality differences among various AR brands. Since then, thanks to this site & M4C, I have become better informed about the AR platform. I wanted to buy a rifle made to a better standard, and the Daniel Defense rifle fit the bill. I chose the midlength so I would have more options with placement of accessories (VFG & light). I wanted fixed sights for simplicity. Additionally, this rifle will be fitted with a non-magnified optic, so folding sights are not necessary.

Changes made so far:

The only change I have made thus far is replacing the pistol grip with a Magpul MOE+. The original grip ergos do not work for me. My other AR has a TangoDown BattleGrip, which works fine, but I wanted to try another grip out. My only requirements are an integral storage compartment and good ergonomics.

Planned changes:

Optic: I will be adding a 1x red-dot sight, probably an Aimpoint T1. I previously had an EoTech 512 Rev F on the RR rifle, which was acceptable, but I found the reticle to be too busy for me. I am chosing Aimpoint T1 for its reputation for reliability, and I want a smaller optic than the other Aimpoint offerings. I am unsure what mount I will get, but I do want a lower-third co-witness, and possibly QD capability.

Light: I will be putting a light on this rifle, but am undecided on what light/mount at this point. I like the idea of a tape switch, but I think the simplicity of a tailcap button is probably more reliable.

Sling & mounts: Again, I have not settled on the sling & mount for this rifle; I want a 2-point sling, preferably something adjustable such as the Blue Force Gear VCAS sling.

VFG: I may change out the attached VFG for something else, such as the Magpul AFG, depending on what works best for my shooting style (or lack thereof).

Other changes: I may add a Redi-mag/Redi-mod; in a defensive situation, I want to have a reload readily accessible, should I need it, and I generally don't sleep with a mag carrier on. Also, I would like an ambi-safety so I can manipulate the safety from either side. I am considering the BAD-ASS ambi safety for this reason.

For comparison, this is the Rock River AR, bought when I was a lot less informed about the AR platform:

Last edited by dirksterg30; 20 November 2012 at 12:23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, there hasn't been anything added here for awhile, so I'll play.
    I wanted a rifle that would be a general use rifle, but the main goal was a rifle of decent quality while not breaking the bank. My main goal was reliability, with as much reasonable accuracy as I could achieve without sacrificing that reliability. It needed to work from across the room to about 400yds or so. I have a tactical bolt rifle for long range work if I need it. I wanted it to be reasonably lightweight, and somewhat adaptable.
    I had acquired a Rock River lower in a trade. I removed the stock, pistol grip, trigger guard, safety and FCG pins. The stock was replaced with a Magpul MOE stock. The pistol grip was replaced with a Magpul MOE grip. These items fit me just fine, are well made, and reasonably priced. A Magpul Enhanced trigger guard was installed, primarily for the comfort of the firing hand second finger. A set of KNS pins was installed, not because I have a problem with walking pins, but because in most instances, the hammer pin rotates in the receiver instead of the hammer, which will wallow out the holes over time. Replacing the hammer or hammer pin is easier and cheaper than replacing the receiver. A DPMS ambi safety selector was also installed. This was for two reasons, one of which was use of the safety left handed, and the primary reason was that I find it easier and quicker to engage the safety with the trigger finger.
    For the upper, a DPMS heavy duty match receiver was used. I wanted a solid receiver that wouldn't move around, and had no need for a dust cover or forward assist. This receiver is the thickness of the rear rib where it meets the lower all the way to the front, and is slick sided. Inside is a PSA bolt carrier group. The bolt carrier is of the FA type, with chrome lined bore, and hardened and chrome lined gas key. The bolt is 158 Carpenter steel, shot peened and MP Inspected. The bolt carrier group was chosen to closely approximate DoD specs, but at a bit less cost.
    A Badger Ordnance oversized latch was used on the charging handle. This is the medium oversized latch, as I don't like the paddle latch, but wanted a larger than stock latch. Here the optics can be seen. The scope is a Leupold VX-R Patrol. It is a 1.24-4x20, with a 30mm main tube. It has a lighted circle Firedot with Mildot reticle. Turned down to 1.25, it can be used like a red dot, or the dot turned off and the circle dot with Mildot marks used. It is mounted in an ADM Recon-S mount, to be easily removeable to access the Magpul MBUS sights. The scope is quality glass without breaking the bank, and the mount is the same. Fighting type rifles should always have sights, and these were reasonable enough.

More to come.
    Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations, LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most forums I'm a member of limit a post to 5 pics, so here is the continuation.
    The barrel is a PSA 16" midlength lighter weight profile. It is not as light as a pencil barrel. It has a chrome lined bore and chamber, rifling is a 1 in 7" twist. Chamber is 5.56mm NATO. This barrel was chosen due to it being basically the same as the FN barrels that the DoD uses. It is of 4150 CMV steel, hammer forged and HP tested. The 5.56 chamber allows firing of all loads, the lighter profile reduces weight, and harder, denser steel adds stiffness. The midlength gas system is much smoother operating. On the muzzle is a Smith Enterprise Vortex, simply because 5.56 rifles don't really recoil, and a fighting rifle shouldn't announce its presence any more than it has to. Handguard is YHM quadrail smooth freefloat. The reasons for freefloated are for accuracy, and since I don't need 8 miles of rails to hang 14lbs of stuff off of, the smooth is easier on the hands and lighter. A small rail was added to the bottom for a Magpul AFG. I feel the angled grip is more natural for me than straight vertical. The YHM handguard endcap was installed to keep out the large debris. Unseen, the gas block is a regular A-frame front sight I had pulled off of something that I just cut down to fit under the handguard. A rifle length handguard both covers the gas block and gives a rifle length sight radius for better practical accuracy. The front sight is the matching Magpul MBUS.
    Now comes the sling. Over the years, I've played with most sling systems and attachment methods, and all lack something. In my mind, all firearms serve a primary purpose; the last line of defense for free citizens. Any other uses (range, hunting, 3-gun) are secondary. After trying a 3-point, I just wasn't going back. I mostly use a 2-point, with rare use of a single point. I wanted a sling that was easy to take off and put on, could go from single point to 2-point, and be quiet. Loops with webbing threaded through them are quiet, but very slow to install or remove the sling, and don't transition from 2-point to single point very well. Hooks on eyes are easy on and off, and transition well, but are noisy. Push button swivels are easy on and off, and reasonably quiet, but don't transition well unless you have extra sockets, which doesn't always work well. My solution was to have buckles. I cut some webbing and stitched loops holding the female ends of a buckle at the stock and rear end of the handguard. They are double layered webbing for long lasting durability. I took a CQB Solutions 3-point sling I had, and converted it to run as a 2-point sling, with male buckles at each end. Additionally, an extra female buckle was added at the rear end so that the front buckle could be moved to the rear end of the sling, making a loop, a single point sling. The front buckle on the rifle will make a small amount of noise on the handguard, but only when there is no sling attached. Other than that, it's quiet, and fast. The rear is attached through a small slot in the stock, and allows quick switching of sides with the rifle. The front is attached via a custom mount that I made from 6061 T6 aluminum and screwed into the rearmost rail attachment hole in the handguard. First, the hole was opened up from 4-40 to 6-48, to use a larger, stronger screw. The rearmost hole on the other side was opened up also, should I suddenly become left-handed. The mount is cut to sit flush against the handguard, and slotted to fit the rail area ridge. Between that and the tabs at the rear, it is locked from movement even though it has but one screw attaching it.
    Since Parkerizing isn't really a great protective coating by itself, it is primarily designed to hold oil to protect the surface, exteral parts such as the barrel, flash hider, and castle nut, as well as the sling mount were finished in flat black Norrells Moly Resin. Since the handguard came in flat black, it was finished in FDE Norrells Moly Resin.
    Since we're not fighting for our freedoms here, and gangs of thugs aren't busting in my front door at night, it mostly gets range time and 3-gun matches.

Glock Advanced Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 3-gun set. The pistol is my everyday carry. I use the rifle as-is, and use field type gear, not 3-gun racing gear. I'm not trying to win, I'm trying to improve the skills I cannot get on the square range, such as shooting on the move, transitions, etc. I mostly cannot afford classes, so for now, this is as good as it gets.

Glock Advanced Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads

I originally assembled this rifle to take Randy Cain's Carbine 1 course in 2010. I wanted to get back to basics and take the class with iron sights for an article in SWAT. I used round A2 handguards on the gun and an M4 stock at that time. Since then I went to the MOE forend and VFG, and the A1-length Cavarms stock. I initially added a Mount-N-Slot QD socket at the rear of the MOE, found it interfering with my reloads, and installed a second near the FSB. I also installed a QD slot on the ejection-port-side of the stock. I removed the original sling swivel from the stock and replaced it with a nut I got at Home Depot. I got the bumpless A2 grip (it's different than an A1) from Accurate Armory when I posted on my facebook page that I was going to be like most online reviewers and start basing my opinions on who gave me free stuff and that my opinions were now for sale. They thought it was funny, which it was meant to be, and sent me a stock and a grip, both of which I like, and one of which I'm using on this gun (I'll leave it to you to decide if I sold my soul for a stock and a grip). The sling I've been using is the Sherriff of Baghdad from Mission Ready Equipment, but I don't like the mounting hardware so I went back to the BFG padded with sewn-in swivels because it was sitting around not being used. I like the tan furniture because I live in Florida and guns sit in the sun and get hot.

The A2 handguard just wasn't cutting it but only because I wanted to add a sling mounting option. Later on it was helpful to have it there when I wanted to add the VFG. For the kind of shooting I do, and with the excellent training in how to take advantage of it I received at a Viking Tactics course, the VFG is just indispensable. The same event where I had this epiphany is the event where I realized the bayonet lug was just getting in the way. I came home and ground it off and installed the VFG.

The stock was the result of some free time one weekend where I took every gun out of the safe, set the stock to the position where I'd normally shoot it, and measured them. I discovered that they were almost all at A1, and some were at A2, length. If I'm using the stock at a length that I can by a fixed stock, it makes sense to just use the fixed. As a child of the AWB, it's tough to get rid of the parts we waited so long to get back, but from a practical shooting standpoint it makes sense to use a stock that has one, fixed, part vs. multiple moving parts.

The rear sight is a Troy fixed, simply because I wanted a fixed and they were the only ones I knew of at the time (and still to this day, actually) that make a same-plane aperture fixed rear.

I leave the A2 flash hider on there because I regularly attend events with people shooting various cheaters (aka "brakes") and still beat them so I can't figure out what the brake would do to help me other than create more blast.

I have really enjoyed shooting this gun. I shot 623 rounds of XM193 through it with the A2 handguards and M4 stock at Randy's class, and then it sat dormant for two years (to the day) before I decided to start shooting it again. In the last month I've put another 523 rounds through it, all various steel-cased. I had exactly one partial failure to feed (meaning it pushed the round up partway out of the magazine but not all the way into the chamber, vs. a full failure to feed where the bolt fails to pick up the round from the magazine at all) and that was the first outing after 2 years of sitting dormant which I'll chalk up to dust/rust/whatever. That was also with the M4 stock, not the A1. I believe I used Pmags during Randy's class and have used NHMTG with Magpul follwers and Ranger Plates this past month.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple of years ago I elected to build a couple of SBRs after shooting one and appreciating how easily they swung around. I rarely shoot beyond 50 yards. I went with 11.5 inch barrels based on Paul Buffoni's observation that that seems to be the sweet spot for gas system reliability.

On the one that I built first, I took a kind of "spare no expense" approach as well as paying no attention to the weight. I used a DD Lite rail because it's solid and light. I put (expensive) Troy sights on it. The front flip-up is mounted back enough that I can slide on a TLR-1 or a G2 on a Gear Sector offset. Also an RDS because I think that that's a must-add accessory on this type of rifle. I went with a BattleComp because I put one on my Light Recce and found it helpful in mitigating muzzle deviation. I suspected it was going to bark more on the shorter rifle, and it does, but I wear good ear protection and don't find it intrusive. BADASS ambi safety because I prefer to use my index finger to flip the safety back on - I've ultimately settled on crank on left side, stubby on the right side. Giessele SSA trigger because I factory-added it on a whim when ordering the Noveske Light Recce and really liked it a lot. At SHOT a couple of years ago, the Giessele booth was selling the things dirt cheap out of the back of their truck and I picked up a couple. Over the years I came to hate 3-point slings, switched to single-point and came to hate those. The current sling attachment that I use was an evolutionary process and set up to keep it from interfering with my support hand. Jeff Gonzales recommended that arrangement to me a couple of years ago, stock and forearm, I tried it and liked it. I put a Magpul trigger guard on it because this is Minnesota and I sometimes need something more robust than shooting gloves. The AFG...well, this was back when Magpul was the bomb and I drank the KoolAid. Since then, as the fad has subsided, I've tried other fore grip arrangements including a Gear Sector stubby and Gear sector hand stop, but for some reason on this rifle with this rail, the AFG just seems to work the best for me, so I succumbed and resigned myself to occasionally being perceived as a Magpul fanboy. I can't remember why I chose the iMod stock. I've been using them on other rifles since the modstock came out and just got used to them, I suppose.

I do have a Noveske NSR 9 rail on backorder at a couple of places, thinking that my support hand grip may work better with the smaller diameter forearm.

After shooting that for awhile, I finished the other rifle that I'd registered. I elected Magpul furniture, after deciding that there was nothing magic about the VLTOR stock and I found that the DD Lite rail was a little bulky and the gun was a little heavy. I skipped the Troy BUIS after deciding that my need for expensive iron sights was minimal such that MBUS would be more than "good enough" . I also found that I rarely, if ever, needed a light. I was still convinced of the need for an RDS, BADASS, BattleComp, trigger guard, Giessele SSA, and sling arrangement. I attached an IWB QD socket to the forearm, selected the CTR for its QD socket. I like the CTR. That rifle weighs 6.7 lbs compared to 7.4 lbs for the other SBR, but the green one is much lighter on the front end and is much easier to swing around.

Since I took these pictures, I switched the pistol grips to the Magpul MOE+ overmolded ones. I have an overmolded stock on my Ruger rifle and really like the feel.
    Last edited by Hmac; 6 January 2013 at 07:01.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just picked up my first AR, built for me last week. Being a lifelong resident of the Puget Sound area of Washington, I wanted to be sure to represent some of the fine local companies, all of which have excellent reputations in the AR community from what I've come to understand. I've been a pretty serious shooter of the defensive handgun for about 5 years and a hunter/casual shooter for 12-15 and I've wanted an AR-style rifle for most of that time. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of hours reading and researching modern combat handguns and rifles- been a member of many forums(and a lurker on others), magazines, blogs, twitter posts, YouTube videos, etc. I've never been one to settle for something just because it was affordable- if I can't get the gun/boat/watch that I really want, I go without it until I have the cash to get what I want the first time, thus me just now finally acquiring my first Personal Defense Rifle.

**BCM Mod0 Compensator- At first all I wanted was a flash suppressor. Not a plain A2 birdcage but something a little more interesting. Then I looked into Battlecomps and seeing that the side concussion and muzzle blast had been mitigated, I looked into comps further. The BCM caught my eye and after reading reviews and watching side-by-side tests on YouTube, put this to the top of my muzzle device list. It seems to be the best balance of flash hider/compensator.
    **Rainier Arms Select 16" 5.56mm MEDCON Barrel- My guy behind putting this thing together suggested a chrome-moly barrel early in our discussion but I wanted chrome lined. He had some barrels on hand including a 14.5" Rainier Arms Select and I dug it but wanted a 16'' midlength. I was extremely pleased when he found one a few days into the search. We discussed twist at length and after giving 1/7'' and 1/9'' much thought, a lightbulb went off telling me to get 1/8''. I should be able to stabilize 50 grain varmint bullets AND 75 grain Sierra Match Kings. I get the benefits of polygonal rifling and it's guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with match ammo. M4 feed ramps, MPI tested, improved longevity. And I think it looks pretty cool in the matte stainless finish, just peeking out from under that long rail.
    **Diamondhead BUIS/ Rainier Arms Logo- I first saw these on the Rainier Arms RUC, which happens to be the complete rifle I had been planning to buy until Sandy Hook happened and they became unavailable. I immediately became fond of them but I definitely wasn't set on them being the ones I really wanted. I was open to suggestion here, even as far as using Magpul MBUS but was talked out of using the polymer sights. I considered most of all the more popular but sticking with the RUC inspiration I chose these. They do everything I need them to- plus I got the mark of a local company.
    **Inforce WML-HSP- Specced by Haley Strategic Partners, they took the Inforce WML and added 75 lumens to bring it to 200 and gave it a momentary on only activation switch. It's lightweight, bright, simple to operate, and ergonomically designed. Waterproof to 66' and two easy lockout systems. I love this light.

**15'' VTAC/Troy Alpha Rail- I've never liked standard handguards and I didn't need a quad rail. I've really liked many of the modular free float rails out now and I wanted a long rail, again drawing from my RUC inspiaration. 15'' on a 16'' barrel or 13'' on a 14.5'' was what I liked. Mounts solidly and comes with rail sections to mount wherever I see fit as opposed to having to shell out more for the pieces I want. Very happy with this choice.

**Fail Zero NiB-X BCG- This was something that I was not willing to skimp on. I considered others including BCM but my research produced the nickel boron Fail Zero as the apple of my eye. The testimonials of some big name players running these sans lubrication and the ease of cleaning combined with video evidence of such sold me on this BCG. Another component I'm extremely excited to run through its' paces.

**Aero Precision Upper Receiver- Local company known to machine mil-spec receivers, the keyhole pieces mate up solid.
    **Surplus Ammo & Arms Lower Receiver- Yet another company nearby, using forged receivers from Aero Precision. Going with a pseudo-mated upper and lower(at least machined at the same place) really seemed to keep any wiggle between them to an absolute minimum. Plus I dig the bullseye rollmark and it's marked Tacoma, WA(Lake-woooood!!).
    **ALG ACT Trigger- From the beginning I knew a standard mil-spec trigger wouldn't cut it on this rifle. I went straight to the other end of the spectrum and considered a Geissele but in the end, the ALG ACT was my choice for the high reliability of the standard profile sear geometry without the associated grittiness. I like the little bit of NiB color it provides along with the BCG and matte stainless barrel in contrast with the complete blackness of the rest of the rifle.
    **Magpul MOE Grip and Triggerguard- both of these feel good on my hand without any of the frills I personally don't desire.

**Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrious Charging Handle- Money well spent. Another component that I wanted to be the absolute best available. Awesome design, very solid and very smooth.

**Vltor EMOD Stock- There were several finalists, all of which would have done everything I wanted. Very satisfied with this stock. Good cheek weld, nice rubber butt pad, plenty of storage, QD slots(future use), and locks up tight.

**Primary Arms Multi-Reticle 30mm RDS- Believe me, I want an Aimpoint. Either a PRO or Micro H-1 is on my list but it came down to whether or not I wanted to have some ammo to run through this rifle or splurge on the optic. I chose to use my budget to obtain some ammo. It really would be a crime to have this rifle sitting in the safe, collecting dust and begging to be run. From what I read, this is a good value and will do what I need it to do. I'm a novice in the AR game so until I can shake my Low Speed/High Drag operating skills, this will do just fine.
    **Various Magazines- I have a decent amount of magazines from a variety of manufacturers: Troy Battlemags, 10-pack BCM Battleship gray USGI with Magpul followers, C-Products USGI, and a mix of used Colt, Okay, etc USGI. Pmags have been backordered but I'm not holding my breath. I refuse to overpay(tempted to use "gouge" but I don't need a supply and demand economics lesson).
    **Magpul MS3 Sling- This is doing it's job for me. I like being able to quickly change from 2-point to single and the hardware is great. I plan on installing some QD sling mounts. Also would like to test out the Blue Force VCAS.

So that's my new favorite in the safe. A minimalist hand stop is probably in my future if I can figure out which one I can get to mount flush to my tube- I'd really prefer not to add a rail section at 6:00 for it. I guess for now my question is: what do I call it when somebody asks, "So what kind of AR did you get"?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I apologize for the iPhone pics. Even with my wife's best camera I couldn't take photos like Stickman. I'll work on it. There is some editing to come on this post, Photobucket is not cooperating with me right now and I don't dare leave this in a closed tab overnight on this laptop. I spent way too much time for it to get accidentally deleted while my 4 year old searches for the "Gangnam Style" video for the 10,000th time so I'll have to just post this without the last few pics and hopefully edit them in tomorrow. Overall I'm extremely pleased with my first iteration of a Personal Defense Rifle. Enough of the cool kid stuff without going overboard. All critiques are welcome- at least for now.
    Last edited by philpac33; 20 February 2013 at 21:48.

Downloads
    Uploads

FNG Write Up

Decided to remove the write up till I actually go and shoot it. Will update when I get a chance.
    Last edited by Deckard; 25 May 2013 at 22:54.