Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Why not just run the correct gas-port size?
    This x10. I see so many people adding all kinds of gear to multiple rifles just to make it run correctly when starting with a spec barrel and buffer would eliminate all of the fiddling. I CAN see the SBC being a nice addition to help with some gas face, but I wouldn't call that a necessity.

Most quality barrels are correctly ported for unsuppressed use only. As I'm sure you're aware, suppressors increase pressure, gas blowback, etc.
    I have one (1) AR (.308) that doesn't run right and it's because I mistakenly thought it was going to be different than "all of the other" barrels. Sadly it's not. So hopefully the SBC will be the answer. Otherwise, all of my "quality barrels" (KAC, Colt, Noveske, Douglas) run absolutely fine both unsuppressed and suppressed without ripping out casings or causing malfunctions.

To me, it seems like the Scionics barrel has a bunch of marketing behind it, and its "undergassed port" that lets it run in both modes just means it's gassed correctly. That doesn't make it a bad product. On the contrary, actually, as that seems like just what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    This x10. I see so many people adding all kinds of gear to multiple rifles just to make it run correctly when starting with a spec barrel and buffer would eliminate all of the fiddling. I CAN see the SBC being a nice addition to help with some gas face, but I wouldn't call that a necessity.

I have one (1) AR (.308) that doesn't run right and it's because I mistakenly thought it was going to be different than "all of the other" barrels. Sadly it's not. So hopefully the SBC will be the answer. Otherwise, all of my "quality barrels" (KAC, Colt, Noveske, Douglas) run absolutely fine both unsuppressed and suppressed without ripping out casings or causing malfunctions.

To me, it seems like the Scionics barrel has a bunch of marketing behind it, and its "undergassed port" that lets it run in both modes just means it's gassed correctly. That doesn't make it a bad product. On the contrary, actually, as that seems like just what you want.
    I'll be honest, Sionics hasn't marketed that barrel AT ALL, with the exception of the intro thread on M4C. It's all been word of mouth. And I've been very satisfied with mine. It's is 0.006 under the "correct" size for an 11.5" barrel. And I wouldn't recommend it for someone who wasn't shooting suppressed the majority of the time. It might be more accurate to say that it is "correct" for a dedicated suppressed upper. And right now, no one else offers a comparable product. Side by side with a BCM 11.5, the Sionics has less blowback and is a shade softer shooting, with all other components being the same. With the suppressor removed, it's also more ammo sensitive. So, there's the trade off.

It's a great option, but obviously not the only solution. For someone like me that doesn't really trust adjustable gas blocks and doesn't want to fool with switches on the carrier or receiver, it's a better mousetrap. Mainly because it's "correct" for suppressed shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    I'll be honest, Sionics hasn't marketed that barrel AT ALL, with the exception of the intro thread on M4C. It's all been word of mouth. And I've been very satisfied with mine. It's is 0.006 under the "correct" size for an 11.5" barrel. And I wouldn't recommend it for someone who wasn't shooting suppressed the majority of the time. It might be more accurate to say that it is "correct" for a dedicated suppressed upper. And right now, no one else offers a comparable product. Side by side with a BCM 11.5, the Sionics has less blowback and is a shade softer shooting, with all other components being the same. With the suppressor removed, it's also more ammo sensitive. So, there's the trade off.
    Gotcha. That makes a little more sense. And no surprise that's there's a trade off. Nothing's free, right?