Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to say ATACR as well, but above his stated budget.

Boiler, I thought you were in love with the Vortex HS line?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I was going to say ATACR as well, but above his stated budget.

Boiler, I thought you were in love with the Vortex HS line?
    I'd actually be pretty content with the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 FFP w/ XLR reticle for this rifle, but I'm in a position where I can spend a bit more and this rifle is performing well enough where I feel it warrants it.

I still hold that Vortex Viper glass is an excellent value for $400-$500 mid-range glass, especially given the warranty. The PST line adds great tactical features for another bill or two. I got my Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP (pictured above) for a steal at $350 back when Vortex was discontinuing the line and I'd be pleased with my purchase if I had paid $500+. It's a great fit for my .223 SPR. I also really like my Viper PST 1-4x24 (for a $450 scope). I've got a Diamondback HP on a 10/22 and I doubt I could ever bring myself to buy anything that cheap again.

My Swaro Z3 is my best scope right now. For an $800 scope, pretty much all that money goes into the glass as it really has no additional features besides the ZRH reticle. It's a hunting scope, but I can look through that thing all day. My eyes ain't what they used to be, either. That new Zeiss V6 looks like a great compromise between hunting and tactical for my needs. Give up a few "tactical" features in trade for better glass and light weight. I was eyeing the new Leoupold VX-6HD line, too, but I think the V6 knocks that out.

I'll probably be building up a long range bolt gun in a few years and that's when I'll be looking at upping the budget. When that time comes, the Razor AMG is probably the front runner, but I also really like the Kahles 6-24 and the ATACR will be in the running as well.

The Sig Tangos seem to be getting pretty good reviews and they're already coming out with a new generation, but the track record just isn't there yet.

I guess I should have added Trij Accupower 4-16x50 to the list, too. I keep going back and forth on those. I can get attractive pricing on those, but I'm not a huge fan of the available reticles and there are some pretty unfavorable stories floating around regarding their CS. But they do seem like they "belong" on an AR.