Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Snapshots: Range Reports

Snapshots are brief . . . looks at a variety of ammunition loads commercially available for use in the .223/5.56mm AR-15 platform. A “Snapshot” will include a short description of the load, chronograph data from a single barrel and the accuracy (technically precision) results of one 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards.

The reviewed loads were chronographed from a 20” Colt M16A2 barrel with a 1:7” twist, chrome lining and NATO chamber. 10-shot strings of each load were fired over an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. All velocities listed are muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program.

Accuracy testing was conducted from my bench-rest set-up from a distance of 100 yards following my usual protocol. The fore-ends of the weapons rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest and the butt-stock rode in a Protektor rear-bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the tope of the free-float hand-guard. Naturally, the wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

Prior to the firing of the factory loads, control groups were fired using hand-loaded, match-grade ammunition. In every case the control groups had significantly smaller extreme spreads and mean radii than the factory loads tested. A representative 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 using hand-loaded the 62 grain Berger HP bullet is pictured below.

Nosler 77 grain Custom Competition HPBT

This ammunition uses Nosler’s 77 grain OTM projectile with a cannelure, loaded in Nosler brass.

This load had a muzzle velocity of 2612 fps with a standard deviation of 19 fps. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 had and extreme spread of 0.98” and a mean radius of 0.31”.

American Tactical 5.56 x 45mm 62 grain

This M855 “clone” is charged with ball powder, has crimped and sealed primers, asphalt sealant at the case-mouth and utilizes a 62 grain SS109-type projectile. This bullet is a full-metal jacket, boat-tailed, cannelured projectile with a steel penetrator insert.

The muzzle velocity of this load was 3077 fps with a standard deviation of 21 fps. America Tactical claims that this ammunition “is lot tested to assure less than one minute of angle” accuracy at 100 meters.

A 10-shot group of this load fired from an AR-15 with a free-floated, 20” Colt HBAR had an extreme spread of 4.49” and a mean radius of 1.33”.

Remington 62 grain HP Premier Match

This Remington load is topped with a flat-based, cannelured, 62 grain HP projectile and uses Remington – Peters brass.

The muzzle velocity of this load was 2897 fps with a standard deviation of 14 fps. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 had an extreme spread of 1.3” and a mean radius of 0.52”.

Hornady 60 grain TAP

This TAP load uses the 60 grain VMAX bullet with a cannelure. The load had a muzzle velocity of 2927 fps from the 20” Colt barrel. The smallest 10-shot group had an extreme spread of 0.88” and a mean radius of 0.27”.

*No animals were harmed during the testing of this ammunition.

Last edited by Molon; 29 March 2020 at 12:40.