I went to a gun show today so that I could fondle some of the goods. While I was there, among other things I was able to play with a Trijicon SRS. Admittedly I have to say I have sort of been predisposed to that one but not for any particular reason other than I think it would be good. That said I know a few people are not that keen on them for one reason or another.

Before I start forking out dough on building an SBR I want to have the whole thing thought out and obviously an optic is a big part of that. For one reason or another I don't like buying a bunch of stuff on a half thought out concept.

That said my current criteria are as follows:

I want something nice. That said I don't see any reason to over pay for something that honestly won't be (for me) anything more than just bragging rights. Crap optics are not not on my agenda. I would rather save and get what I really want.

I want a 1x.

I will probably run my (future) SBR with flip up irons as back up.

Initially I really did not like (at all) QD mounted anything. That said I recently changed my mind entirely on that. I recently bought an Atlas bipod that has an ADM QD attach. That thing is just beautiful. The mount on it is a piece of art if you ask me. Long story short if it has a good QD mount that will be fine. It would be a good option to have.

All that said, once I mount the optic, odds are I won't be moving it around or taking it off or whatever, but a good QD mount would be an option to consider.

I know there are other kinds of mounts. Some are taller. Some are shorter. Honestly I don't quite know the pros and cons of each style and what are their benefits.

In my mind I am wanting an optic that has a wide objective. I am guessing this would give me a both eyes open/better peripheral vision. I don't want to lose the dot if you know what I mean. I want to effortlessly look through it. That is a high priority.

Other random thoughts are below:

I probably will never buy or use a magnifier for the SBR. Maybe after I get some more SBR running under my belt but I doubt it. I am building the gun to be 100yards and in minute of man. Anything else is just gravy. For this gun speed and ease on target is more important than tiny 1 MOA dots.

I would want my optic to be daylight bright if that's possible.

Maybe some sort of cowitnessing would be a plus, but if someone can tell me the benefits of taller (or different style) mounts then that's even better. This is one of the things I want to figure out. I don't know if I want to pop the optic off via QD or set up a cowitness setup.

I am not at all married to any kind, type, or brand of optic. I don't care if it's holographic or red dot. The 1x concept and options are what I am after.

My gun will primarily be a range toy and maybe for home defense, or in a pinch to possibly to give an attitude adjustment to zombies or looters. Overall I am not trying to scrimp on parts but what I buy has to add value to justify it's cost. I will have the rifle for 20 years so no crap.

Things like keeping a few spare batteries on hand isn't that big of an issue but admittedly I kind of like not having to worry about batteries.

Is there anything else I should know? Lay it all out here fellas. Teach me something.