Jim (JuKk0o) and I got together today at MRC for some shooting fun but also with a mission to sight in my new scope. Here are some of the details with a question at the end of this post.

The Scope: Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP ERB-1

The Evil Blackness: Mega Maten with .308 Mega 18" Midlength 1:10 Barrel

Distance: 100 Meters

Ammunition 1: Started out with American Eagle 7.62x51mm 168 Grain OTM (Open Tip Match) for M1A

Ammunition 2: Ended up with PPU .308 WIN 150 Grain SP (Soft Point)

I started out with lady luck on my side. The Viper was putting the AE ammo on paper right out of the gates. I was pleased with this but my elation soon turned to frustration. I was able to achieve a decent zero fairly quick but for some reason I could not for the life of me achieve what I would consider an acceptable shot group. I employed all the marksmanship skills I've learned and practiced but despite my best efforts I just couldn't pull a good shot group together. I figured that today just wasn't going to be my day. Feeling a bit dejected, I finally gave up and took a break to show off and shoot my newly blued Browning Hi-Power with Jim.

Once I'd quit sulking about my first round with the Mega and the Viper, I went back for another go at it and put up some fresh paper to terrorize. I was out of the AE ammo so I pulled out a baggie containing about 30-40 rounds of loose PPU that I had brought along for ringing the gongs and plinking. I had not intended to use this ammo for sighting or precision but figured what the hell, and proceeded once again to attempt firing a decent shot group. I was quickly astounded to see these shots coming together to create some tight little groups! My first group of four shots with the PPU impressed Jim and I so much that he insisted I go take a picture to document my achievement. Here it is:

I just figured the break I had taken was responsible for the improvement in my marksmanship but Jim tipped me off that it was probably the ammo that was to blame. It would seem that the Mega preferred the PPU over the AE ammo.

So this leads me to my question.

If I want to repeat these shot groups, do I need to buy the exact same ammo, PPU .308 WIN 150gr SP?? Or.... can I buy any brand .308 in 150gr to repeat the groups? Will it make a difference if I don't buy the SP (Soft Point)??? Will it make a difference if I buy a different brand ammo but with all the same specifics as this PPU I was using? Shit I don't know.