This might be heresy, but I think I've got enough assembled lowers so I'm just building uppers as the whim hits me now. The one I'm currently contemplating is going to be a basic, no frills, semi-lightweight - flat top receiver, slim profile 14.5" barrel with a pinned/welded flash hider under a 13" free float rail with a fixed front sight, rail for a light, QD mount point for a sling, quality BCG, lightweight RDS, etc. I ordered most everything and then just surfed the web for a bit afterwards. Turns out what I'm building strongly resembles a Thunder Ranch Standard rifle. I see that Clint eschews a forward assist on the rifles. I've been using AR-type rifles for ~20 years for recreation & work. I've always used good quality ammo and have never shot Wolf or similar stuff, and have never needed to use the forward assist on any of my rifles. I'm tempted to get an Aero Precision slick side upper and use that for the build. Seems to me if I get a round not chambering I'm gonna do a malfunction drill rather than try to shove the round in. If it still doesn't feed after that, I've got bigger issues.

To get to the point, has anyone here ever had a real world need for the FA?