I just found this site and I like it much better so far than a few others out there.

I am planning, slowly acquiring parts for my first build and wanted to get a consensous on my parts laydown. I already own several ARs mostly geared towards precision set-ups and wanted to build a very rugged range gun/self defense/ beater rifle. I plan to build a M4 style rifle (not a exact clone) that will be robust, reliable and different than my middy recce/spr type rifles.
I see this as a high round count rifle that i can abuse and can take the abuse. As far as budget goes, I do have a limit but am not as concerned with that as I am getting good parts. I also limited my self to assembling almost the entire rifle from individual pieces and not purchasing assemblies. (i want to learn and like the idea of buildning from scratch). Any suggestions on parts to make this tougher/more reliable would be apprciated.

Here is what I have so far

- Colt 14.5" M4 SOCOM Barrel (Carbine length with F mark FSB)
- Battle Comp 1.5
- Barnes Precsion Machine Lower
- Palmetto State Armory LPK
- Giessele SSA Trigger (contemplating the Super 3 Gun trigger. Any thoughts?)
- LMT SOPMOD Stock (had this on hand but may decide to choose something different)
- MOE Pistol Grip
- LMT Fixed back-up rear sight
- Aimpoint H-1 on Larue Tall mount
- DD Omega 7 quad rails

What I still need/want

- Upper Reciever: Looking at the VLTOR MUR or Forged upper from various companies (Noveske,LMT,BCM,Ranier Arms)
- BCG: Looking at a Fail Zero or Spikes NiB
- Charging handle: BCM Gunfighter with med latch
- Buffer: Spikes ST-T2 Buffer
- Buffer Spring: Tactical Spring Co extra power
- Reciever extension: LMT/Spikes/BCM (Is there really that much difference between manufactures with these?)
- Noveske QD End Plate
- Gas tube (Is there really that much difference between manufactures with these?)
- VTAC sling
- Larue Index clips for hand guard area