I bought my first Surefire product about 5-6 years ago. It is a E2L, two stage with I believe 3 lumens in low and 65 lumens in high. Over the past several years, I have bought other Surefire products, and had cause to use their "no hassle guarantee" once. It is appropriately named, as they replaced a part for me with zero flack. I am sold on the products even if they cost more than similar offerings from other companies.

My question is this: I have noticed lately that the lumen output is beginning to skyrocket, especially compared to my meager 65 lumens. However, none of my flashlights are rated at more than 110 lumens, and these seem pretty bright to me. Is a 500 lumen flashlight really practical? If you woke up in the middle of the night and had to turn one of these things on, wouldn't it hurt your own eyes as it reflects off white walls or similar bright objects? I can somewhat understand the usefulness of having a handheld light that will practically serve as a search light or spotlight if needed, but on weaponlights, cant lumen counts like this actually be harmful to unadjusted eyes?

Thanks in advance :)