OK guys... I back again to pick your brains.

I am fresh back from the sporting goods store where I was able to actually handle one of the 1-4 scopes listed here. It was nice. I like it.

But that brings up a whole nother ball of wax. What exactly IS a prism scope?

I was able to handle and compare the two side by side and they both seem like they have strong points.

The 1-4 acts like a true scope more or less. I am guessing if you are not dead on behind the scope then your ability to put rounds on target could be compromised (IE more for target shooting than say 'battle rifle' in some senses of the word.

The prism scope I saw had a recticle in it. It didn't have just some shiny old red dot hanging out there. It had mil dots and everything. The look, the construction and the functionality of the prism scope seemed to me to be quite interesting. The problem is I don't know what a prism scope really is.

Can anyone explain it to me in basic english? :)

I am guessing a prism scope is like a cross between a red dot and a scope scope. Instead of a big funky dot hanging out there it has like I said, cross hairs, mil dots, whatever the thing is built with.

What are the pros to this kind of optic and what are the cons?

After doing a side by side comparison the prism scope actually has a slight edge. I am thinking if I can get a 4X prism scope with the recticle I like then I might, I just might have found my optic. Before jumping the gun though I want to learn more and know more.

If I can do quick acquisition with the prism that is a good thing. If the eye relief is more forgiving thats a good thing. If 'where the dot is the bullet goes' regardless of your orientation to the back of the scope... that is a very good thing.

Also playing around with scopes of various sizes and types in the store I got a bit of a dose of reality. I am seriously thinking that a 4X power at 100 yards zero will be more than sufficient for me.

If the target is "man sized" and out there at 200 yards I am pretty sure I could live with a 4X power and get lead on target.

The idea has never really been (despite the sometimes mixed messages) to try to stack shot on top of shot or nail dimes from a fence post at 100 yards. Under controlled conditions I am sure I could tag an apple at 100 yard with a 4X scope... but all these other factors (if it is what I think it is).... then all those other factors make a much better choice for me.

The adjustable scope I played with had very clear optics on it. That said, after manipulating the thing for a while in the store I could envision myself outside shooting constantly fiddling with the thing. After touching it and seeing it and playing with it, that might NOT be what I am looking for. True I could set it at a certain power and run it from there (shot by shot) but if I am really truly running and gunning more I could easily wind up with the same magnification level (4X) as what I was playing with but gain several other factors, and not lose too much "accuracy".... and by 'accuracy" i mean lead on target...as I said before its a loaded word that can mean different things to different people.

Right now that prism style has an edge but for anyone in the know please fill me in to pros, cons and function, and how it all operates, or even if my assumption about what it is is really all wrong or not would be mighty helpful.

Don't need to get to get too technical but I might have found a good balance to all this.