Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Who Shoots Steel Targets?

After a couple of discussions here on the forum the idea was brought up about shooting steel targets. Honestly I have been buying paper shoot and see targets and shooting those mainly.

What I did before is I went to home depot and bought some of those big foam insulation boards. I cut them into three pieces so I have a clean board about 36" wide and however tall. I would put my sticker on there kind of center low and use that for a target (there is a hill that is behind so I am not worried about it going through). I have it propped up against some hay bales.

This allows me to sight in a rifle in very short order with just a few rounds. Take a single shot and go examine the target. Take a tape measure and you can see the point of impact from where your aim point was. Measure it, count clicks until you are on and in 3 or 4 rounds you're pretty decent.

But I usually just use that as a general target and it leaves me more or less just punching paper which leads me to shooting groups... which is not a bad thing, but I want to mix it up.

So what did I do? I bought two AR500 plates that are 1/2 size of a regulation paper target. The ones I bought are 12" wide and 20" tall to the tip of the "head". That leaves the main body about 12"x 16" with about a 4x4 inch head. I will have to measure it exactly when they get here. I bought two of them.

I plan to hang one at 100 yards and hang the other at 200 yards and have them offset from each other some. I can obviously change the ranges as I want and the targets will be portable. Even if I put them side by side or in any number of configurations I can practice any number of reflex skills and I will have instant feedback. I can try it standing, sitting, kneeling, laying, on a bipod or whatever.

I think it will be a really good exercise that I can do at moderate ranges. If these two work out good I might even get more steel plates for different or more courses and configurations.

Not that shooting has ever been monotonous for me but I think the whole gong thing will add a whole lot of a different kind of fun and skill building at the same time.

So here is a question to the forum for general discussion... specifically what kind of configurations do you think would work well? What kind of skills should I try to build and work on? What do you think would just be a barrel o' monkeys of fun? It doesn't have to be limited to two gongs (I can get more) so please post up your ideas here.

What do you think?
    Last edited by alamo5000; 21 February 2015 at 20:49.