Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You got the BRD bad bro. My suggestion would be learn how to hide/justify expenses with the wife and get a side job if you've managed to get this deep in 8 months!
    If you're going to run a 20", why not put some good glass on it for a distance shooter? Your others look GTG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife gave up long ago, she doesn't know half of what I got in my safes. I shoot competition skeet and sporting clays. If I put into AR's like I have shotguns and Sig pistols, Oh my!

Speaking of glass, how well would a removable scope setup hold zero on a railed upper if I wanted to swap with a CH or should I dedicate a scope to the gun? I have thought of putting a Bushnell Elite I have on the righty 20".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends. With a good mount? No problem. It boils down to just how much accuracy is acceptable. A good QD mount will let you return within 1MOA or less if you can do your part. If you are wanting to put holes in holes at 500M that's another issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    -Spikes Tactical 16in Upper (carbine gas system)
    -CMMG Lower
    -VLTOR EMOD
    -H3 Buffer
    -MOE Grip
    -Winter Trigger Guard
    -MI SPLP BUIS
    -American Defense Eotech Mount
    -Eotech 512
    -Larue 11.0
    -MI Front BUIS
    -DD Low profile GB
    -Surefire MB556K
    -Gear Sector two point sling

The rifle has been setup as sort of a do it all rifle. I wanted a rifle that could handle anything from CQB to medium range engagements. I also wanted a rifle that would shoot and handle very well, and this rifle puts out.

Its balanced extremely well, and with the Surefire brake and H3 buffer, is an extremely smooth shooting rifle with almost no recoil. The recoil and muzzle climb this rifle produces is comparable to a .22 LR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd been scheming about a build with a Noveske barrel ever since my FFL transfer guy showed me the line of SS barrels he was able to get from NRW. His own gun was built around a beautiful 18" barrel and got me hooked instantly after he related some of his results.

My reasoning for the Afghan was it would make the shortest barrel to legally own in Washington state once the flash hider was permed. We're not allowed to have SBRs in this state and even worse than that, we cannot fire suppressed weapons. We are fully within our rights to own silencers, and mount them on our weapons, but we cannot actually use them! As a F U to the legislators I wanted a rifle that would be fully legal in this state, handle well, and be suppressor ready in case laws changed or people in the capital finally pulled their heads out of their asses.

Of course, the post-Obama hysteria put a damper on the plans and the economy did me no favors so I concentrated on a lighter, cheaper build that resulted in this LMT carbine:

An X300 is now mounted at 12 o'clock in front of the BUIS.

As things came back into stock, Rainier provided the barrel:

Which went together with a 10" Lite rail, and a Rainier forged upper receiver.

I had a chance to try some new building techniques for me like staking the gas block set screws and using Rocksett:

Here's the gas block under a 10" rail:

Not being able to buy a Noveske switchblock as a stand alone piece seemed like a big problem at first until I realized that AAC made a silencer in the SPR-M4 that would help reduce blowback. John and Mike at Rainier assured me that the combination of Afghan and this suppression system would work great together so this was the result:

The rest of the parts list yielded some interesting finds like the possibility that the Young Mfg phosphated bolt carriers are from FN:

I also discovered that the CTR I had sitting around just doesn't do much to balance out the rifle, I may go with a Modstock or UBR to balance it out. I have an EMOD on another Lower but I don't necessarily want to break up that lower since it is for sale. For now the CTR stays.

Eventually it will get better glass than a PoBoy/2MOA ML3.
    The upper sits on a B-series Noveske lower receiver I got from Ten Ring Enterprises Prior to last year's election. The lower is stuffed with a G&R Tactical lower parts kit, LMT H buffer, spring, and receiver extension. It is by far my favorite lower, best single stage trigger, and the cleanest lower I've built to date. The only change I would make to it if I could do it over would be a MOE grip and trigger guard to save a few clams.

Being a rather small guy, this build is a touch heavier than I would like, but for now I'm pleased with it. This is my ideal precision AR, I would have liked a MUR or perhaps a VIS-2A for this build but I refuse to be gouged for one.

I put 50 rounds through it to function check and get the sights on paper. I only shot on a 25 yard range but it was nice to see the gun put rounds right on top of each other or 5 shot groups touching each other despite me pulling the trigger. As they say, it shoots better than I ever will. I had a major scare after testing it with my CMMG .22 conversion. I had actually forgotten how much it can foul up a barrel and my first 5 shot group after switching back to centurion ammo were spread all over creation! After another 10 rounds it tightened back up. No malfs of any kind. I'm really looking forward to shooting the hell out of this rig.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out on this build and my other rifles: Stickman, the Rainier crew, gotm4, grant, and Jason at Ten Ring.
    Last edited by spamsammich; 23 June 2009 at 09:27.

Downloads
    Uploads

My intent was to build a "general purpose" (home defense/SHTF/ZA) rifle. I was out of the AR business completely for about 15 years, so after researching what was out there, I decided that a 16" BCM midlength would best suit my needs. So far I've put about 700 rounds through the gun with zero problems.

So there it is:

Upper:
    16" BCM Midlength upper
    BCM FA BCG
    LMT Charging Handle (the new type w/tac latch)
    LMT Rear Sight
    Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 w/Magpul XTM Panels
    Streamlight TLR-1
    Aimpoint T-1 on a LaRue LT-660 mount.

Lower:
    CMMG Lower
    BCM milspec RE
    Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
    CMT/Stag LPK (the Stag trigger was soft, so it was replaced with a Colt)
    Magpul MOE Grip
    Magpul MOE Stock

VCAS Sling.

I'll be replacing the lower with one of the Bravo Company complete lowers as soon as funds become available. I also intend to replace the MOE stock with the Magpul ACS stock when they become available. I'm also replacing the LMT rear with the Magpul MBUS and plan on picking up a LaRue Po' Boy magnifier when funds allow. The last thing I'm considering is a Tango Down short VFG.

With those last changes and additions, I don't think I could ask for a better rifle for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    (I wanted to take real photos tonight but forgot good camera at work, so its iPhone for now)

Armalite ar15 mid length: Got it during the recent craziness, its what the gunstore had on the shelves.

Replaced upper with Les Baer upper without forward assist: Never used the forward assist on last rifle and I’m a lefty and the FA just gets in the way when going to charge the weapon with my right index finger and thumb.

Had ADCO re-profile barrel to as light as possible and cut and re-crown at 14.2”

Silver soldered Surefire MB556 muzzle brake: With the barrel shortened this makes it 16.1” and works with the can I am getting shortly.

Magpul CTR (awaiting ACS): Off another rifle, just waiting on the new stock. In FDE obviously!

PRI Gen III rifle length free float carbon tube. I like handguards over the gasblock and don’t need a whole lot of rail space. It was beautiful can’t believe I painted over it.

Shaved FSB: Took Rob S. recommendation that the best gasblock is this because of the taper pins.

ARMS 40L rear BUIS, front MBUS: I’m not real fond of the way the ARMS works but it is of a smaller width than the magpul rear, this helps when grabbing charging handle. The front I don’t care about the size. I don’t plan on using either of these a whole lot.

Armadynamics Charging handle: Have I mentioned that I’m a lefty?

Gear Sector right side receiver end plate and GS2P sling: Best in the business.

Trijicon TA33-8 in a ADM mount. This is my GP rifle, so accurate fire at distance may be necessary. And its relatively quick for closer shooting too.

Ergo Grip: I like the santoprene feel.

Gen I Redimag modded by a friend of mine: Still undecided on this. Clint Smith makes a point on a DVD that people only bring the gun and the ammo that is there to a gunfight. I thought if that’s the case, I’ll take as much on the gun as I can carry and have reliably work (hence no Beta C). Keep in mind I have a chest rig set up in a bandoleer guise, but just in case… Some day hope to be as fast with it as Mr. Haley in AotTC. Got it for cheap and my buddy didn’t charge me to hack on it.

Battery Assist Device : Very necessary if running the “Redi-Mod”

Brownells Alumahyde 2 coyote done by a friend and me: Living in the desert I have noticed how quickly a black rifle gets too hot to touch from the combination of sunlight and barrel heat. Obviously the light color has some concealment benefits too in AZ. Also CDI.

Soon to follow:

Streamlight TLR1: I like where I can place it and very bright for its size and price.

Surefire 556-212 FDE: My good friend has one (the guy who helped with paint). I love the (verified by me) zero POI shift.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    Might generate some controversy...

Stated purpose: Home Defense
    Kept in a locked safe in the bedroom. Intended for use at oh-dark-thirty when there is no time for holsters/chest rigs/armor/etc. This would be the one and only defensive tool in hand, and is likely to be employed at contact distance indoors.

A Glock 19 is also stored in the same location with a light as well and is an alternative option in a defensive scenario, or something that the significant other (SO) can operate if needed. Having both guns available means options, and options are a good thing. Either the SO can run the carbine from the bedroom while I retrieve the kid with the Glock, for vice versa, or we can each take a gun and exit the house if the situation dictates.

Base Rifle: Colt 6933
    The Colt 6933 is a factory registered short barreled rifle that is identical in it's factory form to the 6920 except that it has an 11.5" barrel instead of a 16" and said barrel is a .625" diameter "pencil" barrel instead of an M4 profile. It offers a perfect compromise between ballistic effectiveness at short range, light weight, as well as compatibility with the chosen suppressor.

Rail: Daniel Defense M4 9.0
    Lighter than virtually any rail system on the market, and mates perfectly with the suppressor chosen in that it stops at the front edge of the shaved FSB which is the same place the suppressor stops. Slimmer than the Lite rail and lighter than the Larue rails. The 9.0 legth means that as much of the barrel is covered to protect the shooter from heat, as possible and allows the light to be mounted as far forward as possible.

Gas Block: Shaved FSB
    The single best option for a low-profile gas block. Period.

Optic: Aimpoint ML2
    Larger 30mm Aimpoint size chosen in lieu of the micro, in spite of heavier weight, due to increased flexibility in head placement. My experience has shown that the dot in the micro, while easy to find, can be harder to find than in the larger tube.

Optic Mount: Larue
    Secure, locking lever. May mar the finish but who cares. Less small parts than some other designs and well proven over the years. No magnifier used with this carbine so no need for cantilever.

Rail Covers: Ergo & Magpul
    Ergo at the sides to protect from heat should rail start to heat up, XT covers forward of the vert grip where weight of the gun rests on support hand to distribute the load.

Grip: Magpul MIAD set up to match size of MOE
    Allows storage of NFA paperwork and is sized to match grips on other AR pattern firearms used for other purposes. Allows me to get my hand up higher than other grips as well as keeps my hand a little further to the rear making the interface of trigger and finger a little more natural.

Stock: Magpul CTR
    Matches feel of MOE on other carbines but adds QD sling loop. While this carbine generally does not wear a sling, having the option to add one for training purposes when slinging up is required for admin purposes is a good thing. No need for any kind of battery storage etc. in a carbine of this use as if the light goes down there would be no time to change them.

VFG: Tango Down Stubby
    Smaller size than original, and works well as a hand stop and reference point for placement of support hand to activate light. No need for QD, and light weight.

Light: Streamlight TLR-1
    135 Lumens for 2.5 hours. Inexpensive. Plenty bright for intended use. Allows 12 o'clock mount with works perfectly with either hand for support-side shooting. Easily detached to reduce weight during long training evolutions or to attach to a handgun if needed.

Suppressor: Ops 15th Model
    Perfect mate to 6933 11.5" barrel and M4 9.0 rail system. With the intended use of this carbine being indoors, having a suppressor is a good thing not only for the shooter but for any family that may be in proximity when the gun has to be used. The suppressor can also be removed if needed to lighten the load for long training evolutions, but the muzzle break mount is not something you'd want to fire off indoors.

Other: BFG Redimod & SDI BAD Lever
    With no secondary on my person, emergency reloads and malfunction clearances become key. Key to both of these is actually having the spare magazine as well as being able to rapidly perform the action without losing the firing grip. With this setup I have a spare magazine on the gun even if I'm in my pajamas AND I can get to it faster than any other setup whether in a reload or malfunction clearance situation. The BAD allows the bolt to be locked to the rear and a double feed cleared faster than without. With no secondary, time for performing these tasks is critical.

Sights: None
    No need. Should the optic go down I will simply shoot to the light point. I have fired an AR using only the Aimpoint tube at under 5 yards and using the light as an aiming point and while less than ideal it is faster, for me, than going looking for iron sights. If iron sights get added to this carbine they will be the Daniel Defense fixed front and rear. For now, if needed for training, a cut down carry handle and YHM fixed front sight can be added and both can be attached via thumb-screw requiring no tools.

Sling: None
    No need. With no secondary to transition to and with time being of the essence, a sling is unlikely to make it around my body and in that case becomes a liability as a snag point as well as something an adversary could grab or otherwise use against me. If needed for training purposes a sling, BFG Vickers, can be added at the QD points in the stock and at the MI mount attached to the rail at the barrel nut.

Fully equipped:

Fully equipped less can:

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob,

Thanks for that as I'm in the middle of an 11.5 build now, with the same purpose in mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Might generate some controversy...
    I don't think it is controversial, it looks good, and makes sense for it's intended use.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 30 June 2009 at 08:06.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ultimate carbine?

A question was posed on another board asking what you considered to be an ultimate carbine if you could only have one AR15, while I could have gone a few different directions, here was my reply.

If I could only have one, and it would have to serve as a jack of all trades, for LE, MIL, SHTF, or any other uses, this is what it would be.

Noveske upper- An upper is an upper as long as its in spec, the only reason to change would be for a reinforced upper like a MUR if needed.
    Noveske N4 barrel- HIgh quality, more accurate than needed, stellarlongevity, etc etc... the 12.5" provides a combination of handling and lethality for a reasonable distance.
    Noveske BCG- High quality M16 BCG.
    Noveske lower- FA isn't a requirement for very many things, but its a nice option to have, and I like both their people, and products.

KAC rear sight- High quality durable sight that can be adjusted as needed.
    KAC front folding sight- Pinned folding sight that isn't going to come loose.
    KAC Aimpoint Mount- Rock solid heavy duty mount.

Insight AN/PEQ 15- Actual needs for this are debatable for many scenarios, but in the world of " haves" and "have nots", its better to "have".

AAC SPR/M4 FS- Since the can that goes along with it is in another picture, it makes sense to have the mount. No can needed for some scenarios, very needed for others. This mount also does a great job in killing flash when the can isn't being used.

Geiselle SSF trigger- Fantastic trigger that has proven itself with some of the most elite of units. In the world of ultimate combat triggers, this is it in my book. I run mine with a slightly heavier disco spring.

Midwest Industries QD Sling Mount- This sling mount works great, locks up tight and is low profile.

Surefire Scout Light- Very bright, very durable, very simple.

Magpul PMAG- Reliable magazine that takes a lot of abuse, windowed or standard, I have no preference, they work and thats what matters.
    Magpul MIAD- This configuration fits my hand perfectly, and yes I like the front strap with the finger nub.
    Magpul ACS Stock- I have an entire review with a loads of pictures that explain why I consider this the ultimate stock ACS Stock Review

LMT 40mm Grenade launcher- There is more to life than 40mm HEDP, but while they are useful, flares aren't as fun. Besides, the 203 on this takes me back to my days of being a M203 gunner complete with cadence.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    A question was posed on another board asking what you considered to be an ultimate carbine if you could only have one AR15, while I could have gone a few different directions, here was my reply.

If I could only have one, and it would have to serve as a jack of all trades, for LE, MIL, SHTF, or any other uses, this is what it would be.

Noveske upper- An upper is an upper as long as its in spec, the only reason to change would be for a reinforced upper like a MUR if needed.
    Noveske N4 barrel- HIgh quality, more accurate than needed, stellarlongevity, etc etc... the 12.5" provides a combination of handling and lethality for a reasonable distance.
    Noveske BCG- High quality M16 BCG.
    Noveske lower- FA isn't a requirement for very many things, but its a nice option to have, and I like both their people, and products.

KAC rear sight- High quality durable sight that can be adjusted as needed.
    KAC front folding sight- Pinned folding sight that isn't going to come loose.
    KAC Aimpoint Mount- Rock solid heavy duty mount.

Insight AN/PEQ 15- Actual needs for this are debatable for many scenarios, but in the world of " haves" and "have nots", its better to "have".

AAC SPR/M4 FS- Since the can that goes along with it is in another picture, it makes sense to have the mount. No can needed for some scenarios, very needed for others. This mount also does a great job in killing flash when the can isn't being used.

Geiselle SSF trigger- Fantastic trigger that has proven itself with some of the most elite of units. In the world of ultimate combat triggers, this is it in my book. I run mine with a slightly heavier disco spring.

Midwest Industries QD Sling Mount- This sling mount works great, locks up tight and is low profile.

Surefire Scout Light- Very bright, very durable, very simple.

Magpul PMAG- Reliable magazine that takes a lot of abuse, windowed or standard, I have no preference, they work and thats what matters.
    Magpul MIAD- This configuration fits my hand perfectly, and yes I like the front strap with the finger nub.
    Magpul ACS Stock- I have an entire review with a loads of pictures that explain why I consider this the ultimate stock ACS Stock Review

LMT 40mm Grenade launcher- There is more to life than 40mm HEDP, but while they are useful, flares aren't as fun. Besides, the 203 on this takes me back to my days of being a M203 gunner complete with cadence.....

WOW!

Downloads
    Uploads
    all kinds of really good info in here. it will help me in my decision process for sure. thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very informative thread. I can only view the last page, the first 4 pages I get:
    Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
    Please try again later.

I seem to be getting this message on about 25% of the threads on WE. ?????

Downloads
    Uploads

Purpose: Duty Weapon

Bushmaster Lower:I wanted to build something from the bottom up, and I needed something that was on the approved weapons list. Bushmaster was listed as one and a friend found me a deal on a pair.

Changes to lower: Magpul MIAD grip. The Trigger guard needed to be replaced with the Magpul Trigger guard to eliminate the annoying gap. After a few range trips overseas, I've learned how annoying the gap was. The KNS Anti-rotation pins were just because.

Magpul UBR: I wanted a solid, no rattle stock. I loved the idea of the cheek piece being stationary so its the same feel no matter how extended/collapsed the stock was. QD sling mounts were a plus.

LaRue Stealth Upper: Trusted it to be in specs.

LaRue 10" Free Float Rail: QD sling mounts and just enough rail space.

16" Noveske Hammer Forged N4 Light Reece Barrel: Wanted a midlength gas system. It's more then accurate enough. 16" so I could change the F/H myself if I wanted.

PRI Big latch: More to grab.

Young MFG BCG: It was available. Diamond Black coated.

Magpul XTM Rail Covers: Thin. Short.

LaRue FUG: I wanted something simliar to the KAC VFG in diameter with a QD.

Surefire X300 w/LaRue QD: After carrying an M4 with Surefire's M910A attached to it, I knew I wanted a pistol light on my personal weapon. Surefire quality and enough light. Love the push tailcap feature to activate the light.

Troy BUIS: Had them on my previous weapon. Durable and lo-profile.

Aimpoint Comp M4S W/LaRue QD: Used the Comp M4 overseas, loved how easy it was to operate. Loved the battery life. Aimpoint repositioned the knob to the bottom, it never bothered me before, but Aimpoint thought it was important enough, so I gave it a try. LaRue QD; even though Aimpoint improved the QRP mount, it still fell off at times. The LaRue is a little slimmer and doesn't have a knob protruding from its side.

Magpul PMAGs: Haven't failed me yet.

Vikings Tactic's VTAC: Not a fan of the single point, though they have their purpose. I haven't found one I liked.
    Last edited by Juicebox; 26 July 2009 at 18:42.