Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
This is a help me spend my money thread :)

Just wanted to hear from you guys about it before I jump on it.

My first 5.56 can is a Recce 5 Mod 3. I have a Recce 5 Mod 4 as well. And a Recce 7 Mod 4.

The Mod 4 is quieter than the Mod 3 and has less back pressure.

Now Griffin offers an upgrade service to allow me to get the new eco flow baffles on existing cans.

The difference between a regular Mod 4 and the Eco Flow baffles equates to about 3 to 4 DB reduction (and reduced back pressure) from the Mod 4 to the new Eco Flow baffles. That is 3 or 4 DB at the muzzle AND at the ear using their standardized testing seen on YouTube. (Same ammo, same host, same machine, indoor sound booth, all calibrated, etc)

I know I did my 9mm can into the new Eco Flow baffles for that caliber and the difference was definitely noticeable. I'm really glad I did that one.

So, for a 3 to 4 DB reduction across the board on a 5.56 can (and even more than that going from a Mod 3) would you think it would be worth it to upgrade?

The cost I think is just north of $200, maybe $250 if I recall correctly. That would take my Mod 3 up to the very latest generation and if I decide to do the Mod 4 it would be the same thing.

What say you?

I'm thinking about just starting with one, the oldest one (Mod 3) and seeing how it goes from there.
They are upgrading welded cans? isn't that basically giving you a new can with your serial number re-engraved, or do they actually break the welds?

I need to upgrade the baffles for my Paladin and Revolution, but I'm not sure I'd mess with the Recce 5.