Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper talks gun legislation

Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper is now saying "the time is right" for state lawmakers to consider gun control measures. In particular, he talks about the recent theater shooting in Denver with regard to high-capacity AR-15 magazines, saying things like this:

"When you look at what happened in Aurora, a great deal of that damage was from the large magazine on the AR-15 (rifle). I think we need to have that discussion and say, 'Where is this appropriate?'"

Read more HERE

What these people fail to realize is that reloads can be extremely fast. A few hours of training and a fairly skilled person can reload in AR-15 in just a couple of seconds. Can't use a 30-round mag? Big deal, bring a bunch of 10-rounders. The difference IMHO is not that great. Magazine capacity restrictions will not prevent killers from killing. Just my $.02 ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    didn't his 100rd mag jam in the aurora shooting? making the use of said magazine irrelevant?
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. - Anonymous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Read the first line "the time is right".....please don't tell me given the re-elected campaigner-in-chief, your suprised? Not trying to be negative here, but I'm suprised it's taken this long. I don't think we need gun registration, I think we need to register people that voted for the annointed one, and owns guns...

FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was proud about his statements that gun laws would not have prevented the theater shooting. Now he waffles. Typical Democrat behavior.
    Last edited by WARMACHINE15; 13 December 2012 at 17:24.

Downloads
    Uploads
    New to the area, but doesn't Denver (proper, not suburbs) have magazine capacity laws?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gun control should not be portrayed by any Pro 2A person as a Democrat vs. Republican issue. It should be construed as the civil rights issue that it is. Anything else is counterproductive to our cause.
    Ask no Guarantees, ask no security, there never was such an animal.--Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Downloads
    Uploads
    In most (not all by any means) instances it is a Democrat vs Republican (political) issue. But that was not my point any way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It only continues to be such in political terms because the populace allows it to be divided that way. You don't win any friends by demonizing them because they disagree with you politically. I am, and have always been, both a Democrat AND Pro-Second amendment. I can tell you from knowing Democrats that are anti-gunners that making a sweeping loaded statements like "typical Democrat behavior," or "I think we need to register people that voted for the anointed one" to people will make them automatically turn off instead of even beginning to listen to your well reasoned arguments for why gun control doesn't work. Perhaps to advance our cause we should be inclusive, instead of as derisive as those that don't see things our way.
    Ask no Guarantees, ask no security, there never was such an animal.--Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdamngoat View Post
    It only continues to be such in political terms because the populace allows it to be divided that way. You don't win any friends by demonizing them because they disagree with you politically. I am, and have always been, both a Democrat AND Pro-Second amendment. I can tell you from knowing Democrats that are anti-gunners that making a sweeping loaded statements like "typical Democrat behavior," or "I think we need to register people that voted for the anointed one" to people will make them automatically turn off instead of even beginning to listen to your well reasoned arguments for why gun control doesn't work. Perhaps to advance our cause we should be inclusive, instead of as derisive as those that don't see things our way.
    Sorry Goat, but the facts are the facts. The DNC has and probably always will be the vessel for anti-gun legislation. I'm not a Republican either. I'm an independent. But I know who the party of "gun grabber's" are. Facts are facts. Yes there are exceptions, like yourself, but the DNC has adopted, and proudly wears the badge of gun control advocates. And I'll repeat without regret or embarassment, that the "annointed one" is not your friend, and has yet to show his real face, now that he doesn't have to campaign again, of how he really feels about your 2A rights. Hell, he rarely even acknowledges the Constitution, as having authority over his agenda's. He has a rubber stamp Senate, flush full of anti-gun advocates.

So, in short, Goat, I respect your right to declare your allegience to any party you choose, but you can't deny that your choice of party is THE party of the anti-gun advocacy, like it or not.

Respectfully,
    FT

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Demonizing"...a little sensitive or just grandstanding? I'll connect the dots for you though, I was referring to post election flip flopping as "Typical Democrat". Nothing to do with 2A. I liked the man until this.

Seems to be the only one wound up about someone disagreeing with politics is you.

I'm also independent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT, I never did deny it. Nor was I debating politics, War. What I was pointing out was that if you are want to reach people that may be swayed to our point of view that using statements that sound as if they indict the listener from the start, they very often shut out what you are saying even if it has merit. By the way, I only mentioned that I was a Democrat to point out that I DO know people that could be persuaded but simply write someone off as just another "unreasonable right wing gun nut" rather than someone that bases their beliefs off of facts and reason. Is that right of those people to do? No. Does it happen? Absolutely.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the more incidents like the school shooting in CT pop up, the more ammunition the liberals have to use. They are already talking about gun control on TV.

We even had a near massacre where I work on Thanksgiving. The only reason it didn't happen was because my co-workers caught the guy.

It is the nut jobs like this that are ruining it for us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the Connecticut massacre today this topic is going to be forefront in the media and politics again. I suspect we are on the verge of another high-capacity magazine ban.

My point with this post was not to devolve into an argument, it was simply to discuss whether or not an average person could be quickly trained to effectively reload a weapon. This might render the high-cap argument moot (at least for those who would listen).

I understand that the media and legislators are not interested in this sort of discussion, I am merely curious what you people think - specifically those of you who operate guns for a living.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We all know that a weapons ban won't solve anything. People will get their hands on guns period. The gunman was from NJ where there already is a weapons ban and that didn't stop him.

I wish there was a better way to screen these nut jobs and keep them from legally buying guns, but I don't know how that is possible. We've discussed this at work many times and the only way we can think of to stop these kind of school shootings is to have someone at every school. This could be an armed retired officer or even train some of the school staff and arm them. I have an 8 and a 2 year old and this kind of stuff is scary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those that are directly tied into the industry and use it to put food on the table... do you guys fear that an possible ban will kill the industry and your businesses/jobs? We've been hearing the rhetoric for almost a decade since the last one sunset. I fear it may be closer than we think this time.