Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose some of this depends upon whether we're talking about a from-the-ground-up build, or an adaptation of a production rifle. Stick makes it pretty clear that we're really talking about the former, whereas I would probably be more likely to start with something like a Colt AR6721 (AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine) and go from there.

If we play by the rules, however, I suppose we have to start with the receivers. Assuming a billet lower wouldn't be too much of a boutique selection, I would probably give serious consideration to a Tactical Innovations lower. It appears to be a robust alternative to the norm, though I concede that appearances may be deceiving, and I'm not able to base this upon first-hand experience. It simply strikes me as a worthy contender. Would one of the original (non-Rogue) SMOS lowers work here as well? Likely so -- just haven't seen one in a long, long time.

For an upper, if hard-use is our standard, rather than a specific price point, might we be well-served by a monolithic upper that simplifies some of our other selections later on down the road? Either the LMT MRP or the VLTOR VIS would seem to suffice, though I'm more immediately familiar with the latter -- and if the integrated rail is overkill, there is always the MUR. Either way, I would be somewhat unlikely to go with a standard upper.

Depending upon how far we want to take this, I'd either work with the aforementioned Colt 6721 barrel, or go to a Noveske stainless with a nice full profile. Assuming we give the boys in Grant's Pass the nod here (sort of a no-brainer for me), a mid-length gas system would also seem to suit our purposes well.

On the BUIS front, would a hard-use weapon make best use of something like the LMT cut-down fronts and rears, or are there even more robust choices on the market? Conventional wisdom would seem to favor a more fixed configuration, vice the usual folders, but I've no dog in this particular fight.

True, my starting point is probably running afoul of practicality and affordability standards, but this would be fairly consistent for me, as I rarely concern myself with either. I'm really more of a "best I can find" type of guy.

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 9 February 2009 at 22:55. Reason: Added BUIS question(s)