Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Trunk Gun Build

I built this rifle for home defense and as a "trunk gun" to carry broken down in a Cavalry Arms Discreet Rifle Bag, along with a Mini-Sneaky rifle bag for spare mags.

A Territorial Gunsmiths SLR15 Lower provides the foundation. I added KNS Anti-Rotational FCG Pins to keep everything secure. A Norgon Ambi-Catch allows for weak-handed mag changes (I'm a lefty but shoot righty and am ambidextrous). I had Mike LaRocca tune the trigger to crisp glass rod breaking goodness at 4.5 pounds. I prefer the feel of the Ergo Grip along with a Sully Trigger Guard to make extra room for a gloved trigger finger. The Ace ARFX-E Entry Stock keeps it MA AWB compliant and I like the short length. YHM EZ-Pull Take-down Pins are used for quick assembly/disassembly in and out of the CavArms bag.

For the upper, I wanted it to be relatively light weight to give the rifle a neutral balance. I used an A3 upper from a previous build, which works perfectly with the Sabre Defense 16" CVM 1/7 Midlength gas barrel. Mike LaRocca dimpled the barrel under the MI Low Profile gas block. The light weight of the PRI Rifle Length Forearm makes it a perfect candidate. It has enough rail for a MI Front Folding Sight and a Streamlight TLR-1 C4 on top in front (not shown), and I wanted a round forearm profile for this build. The rifle length also covers and protects the low profile gas block.

The pinned and welded PWS DNTC Aggressive Compensator keeps it MA AWB compliant while offering excellent compensation, with an added bonus of looking bad ass. Moving back, inside there's a G&R Tactical Bolt Carrier Group which is HPT/MP tested, extractor with black insert, Crane O-Ring, properly staked chrome lined and heat treated gas key, chrome line bolt carrier, and fully shrouded firing pin.

For optics, I went with an Aimpoint C3 2MOA with See-through covers and Tenebraex Kill Flash mounted in an ADM AD-68H Mount. The C3 is perhaps the best value of the Aimpoint line. A MI SPLP Folding Rear Sight provides back-up. 50,000 hour battery life allows me to leave it on all of the time, and the see-though covers provide instant deployment.

I went with a single-point bungee sling due to the rifle being assembled from inside the CavArms Bag. Anything more than one mounting point would create a tangled mess and slow down assembly and deployment.

The thermal properties of the foam cheekpiece on the ACE stock and the carbon fiber PRI forearm will be appreciated on hot and cold days.

Unloaded weight (without TLR-1) is 7lbs 10oz, OAL 34 1/8".
    Last edited by ballistic; 24 March 2009 at 19:49.