Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
I think your onto something there Rob. Having 2-3 "purpose" driven rifles for specific tasks.

However being a mechanic for so many years makes the building process enjoyable. But a waste of money, Barbie guns, purging? The same could be said of a switchblock SBR. Alot of folks would think a plain Jane DPMS good enough and never think of an AR again -- It's all in your perspective. Good luck pairing down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
Yes it is. My perspective is that accumulating crap just to accumulate crap is a waste of money. I don't care if it's Elvis collector plates, beer steins, or guns. Objects and items, for me, are not about the ownership but about what I can do with them. They are there to support a task or as a tool for use in an activity. I don't collect suitcases for the sake of posting to suitcase forums about my latest purchase/project, I have a couple for the purposes of travel. One large for long trips, one small for short trips. I don't own a 9mm Ar because:project or because:”build" or because:neato or because:Internet-picture-posting, I own one because there are matches I participate in where it's the only rifle I can shoot, and ranges where only pistol-caliber ammo is allowed.

If the DPMS owner has a defined purpose and his DPMS is fulfilling that purpose, then I have no issue with it. In fact, at one time DPMS was the choice of a lot of 3-gun ears, for whatever reason (probably because at the time there wasn't a TV show and the only people cheaper than 3-gunners were USPSA shooters). I find the accumulation of things, for the sake of accumulation, to be odd as fuck.
Rob for the most part is right on the accumulating or collecting. A lot of folks either go down one of two paths when they get into shooting, either they end up shooting a lot or they end up collecting. Most do not have the time or funds to do both.

I've got friends with safes loaded to the gills with firearms, so many that they can't remember how many or what they have. One had over 400 till he got divorced. That same friend is the same one that would bring me firearms and ammo to go shoot, he rarely came out and shot though. When he came out though he quickly found out his skill set wasn't where he hoped it was, then usually ended up just shooting the breeze rather than the firearms he brought.

I've got friends that their only rifle is a DPMS that have no idea what a Noveske is. But they run circles around a lot of folks at the range. If you have the funds to both collect and go shoot, then power to you. But don't let collecting get in the way of shooting or training.