Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    My "purpose" more than anything is to simply enjoy shooting sports. I am not a cop. I am not a soldier (I was unable to enlist due to a serious injury)... I live in the country and we all get together and shoot for fun. I am a far cry from some top secret operator, but more like a skeet shooter who wants to expand my horizons. That said I personally try to take my own shooting beyond the whole plinking of tin cans off the fence. I like hunting just as much as the next guy but the AR won't be for hunting. I have been invited more than once to be on shooting teams (amateur) so at some point I might give 3 gun a try.

Part of the reason why I haven't jumped into AR's before now is because it never really had that 'definition'. all in all it will be for fun. I do live in the country though so there is a chance for varmint/coyote/pig shooting etc, although later I might go for an AR10 for the pig thing.

The part that I enjoy about shooting isn't just making a bunch of racket and being satisfied hitting a frisbee. I like the science behind it. It wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility for me to give in and run a 3 gun course. Who knows until I try.

And of course there is always the prospect of home defense. But for sheer enjoyment it would probably be an 'accurate' plinker. But, I would probably keep all the rest of that stuff in mind.

On average (seeing how I can walk out into the back yard and shoot) I might go through anywhere between a magazine or two per week. If we have an event (IE BBQ/Skeet shoot/fun time out) I might go through 10 mags in an afternoon...

Don't make the assumption that I am some hotshot gunner... I am just doing this stuff for fun...That said every once in a while we do have some of the local cops out to the house and they shoot with us...just for fun...
    Sounds like any quality barrel will suit your needs. I personally like the Select line as it's affordable and a good shooter. Here's my review on it from about 4 years ago: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-5.56MM-Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    So the write up on barrels above was very informative. I have been saving for a new barrel and was pretty set in the Centurion arms 16" barrel. Then I saw and read about the new Mega arms SS nitride coated barrel. My question is which one in your opinions would be the better option, price aside. I know both will serve me well and I'll most likely die before I come close to shooting it out. Thank you in advance.
    Well the Mega barrel is more precision oriented. Not to say that you can't be accurate with the Centurion Barrel. But the Centurion Barrel is more hard use, as it too is CHF double chrome lined. You'll get more life out of the Centurion barrel. If you're looking for more of a precision oriented rig, Mega would be the way I'd go. General duty/high round count I'd go with Centurion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Sounds like any quality barrel will suit your needs. I personally like the Select line as it's affordable and a good shooter. Here's my review on it from about 4 years ago: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-5.56MM-Barrel

Well the Mega barrel is more precision oriented. Not to say that you can't be accurate with the Centurion Barrel. But the Centurion Barrel is more hard use, as it too is CHF double chrome lined. You'll get more life out of the Centurion barrel. If you're looking for more of a precision oriented rig, Mega would be the way I'd go. General duty/high round count I'd go with Centurion.
    Thank you for such a quick response. I've shot LWRC rifles which are nitride barrels, I just was wondering after I saw the Mega. Its newer so not much by way of reviews. Thank you again, I'm not an ace shot and won't be going for precision so I'll go the way of Centurion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for such a quick response. I've shot LWRC rifles which are nitride barrels, I just was wondering after I saw the Mega. Its newer so not much by way of reviews. Thank you again, I'm not an ace shot and won't be going for precision so I'll go the way of Centurion.
    Centurion makes top notch stuff, but you should also look at the Rainier Mountain series barrels. Similar specs for about the same price. Lower if you find them on sale.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Centurion makes top notch stuff, but you should also look at the Rainier Mountain series barrels. Similar specs for about the same price. Lower if you find them on sale.
    I will take a look. Rainier has never done me wrong and if their up to par with the Centurion I will have a look. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will take a look. Rainier has never done me wrong and if their up to par with the Centurion I will have a look. Thank you.
    Never had a problem with Rainier. They have some of the fairest prices in the industry, and personally I don't think you can do a whole lot better than their select barrels in that price range.