Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Charles Daly Guest

The Cat is Out of the Bag! (Tavor)

In that the "cats out of the bag" over on arfcom (and several other internet forums as well) concerning the IWI Tavor, I thought I should make the members of WEVO aware of what's going on.

KBI is teaming up with IWI, following the successful transition of the Jericho pistol line to KBI from Magnum, to bring the Tavor bullpup carbines and rifles to the US market. They will be built in the US from Israeli and American components. Formal introduction to the industry will occur at the 2010 SHOT Show.

As we did with our entry into the AR-15 market, we are soliciting opinions from the shooting community on certain features/construction to incorporate into the production.

The current topic in the thread on AR-15 com is whether or not to use the original 14.95" barrel (CTAR model) with a pinned flash suppressor vs. going with a 16" barrel with a removable flash suppressor. You can read all, or the portion of the thread that concerns this topic, (on pages 18 through 20), by clicking here.

We would like your opinions also. Please feel free to post here, on arfcom, or on The Charles Daly Forum with any questions or comments you may have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I'm a guy that likes to modify anything and everything that can be modified. So, that said, I would prefer an unpinned flash suppressor if it means having the 16" barrel.

However, with the introduction of a new rifle into the US market, it's quite a gamble to change the design/manufacturing process. Albeit, it's a rather small difference/alteration; it most likely won't pose much difficulty.

Keep a good design a good design. If there's nothing wrong, don't change it. When the Tavor gains more popularity, only then should we introduce options for customization.

Cosmetically, an extra 1.5 inches sticking out looks a bit out of place for a 16" barrel. I don't think consumers would like this. On top of that, I don't think the majority of consumers modify their weapons much beyond their "out-of-the-box" condition.

From a business perspective, I would choose to stick with the stock barrel and a pinned flash suppressor.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    The entire reason for owning a bullpup is to keep it compact. Lengthening the barrel to accommodate a select few who might add a suppressor doesn't add the overall value for the majority who will own it. I say leave the barrel the original length and for the few who want to add a suppressor- then they can register as an SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    While a 16" barrel would be a nice option, I think the original barrel would be a better offering.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the above - the selling points are going to be Compact and Proven for the first few batches - let the sales on those dictate which direction from there.

Are these going to ship with small EMag sets as well?
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't speak for the gun community at large.

For me I can tell you that it would depend on how well the standard flash suppressor that will come with the CTAR performs compared to alternative flash suppressors on the market. If it performs well than I would rather have the shorter overall length barrel even if it means having the flash suppressor pinned. If it performs poorly compared to alternative flash suppressors on the market than I think I'd be disappointed in having it pinned. Just that simple.

Suppressors are illegal to possess in my state so that is not a concern for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a multiple Steyr AUG owner, I can tell you that an extra 1.5 inches in a bullpup design is hardly noticeable.
    Make your life easier by going 16, and get the 14.5 incher as an option.

Regards,

Jorge

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would prefer the 16" I just don't think 1.05" is worth permanently attaching something.
    -BC

"I would never have a 7.62 as my primary home defense weapon. I mean by all means if I'm cleaning a 7.62 and some d-bag busts down my door I'll give him a bad day"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also opt for the 16" barrel as well...
    "In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where we can see them."

Downloads
    Uploads
    This will be incredibly sweet if it happens! I hope they use the Israeli spec barrel.

Charles Daly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    This will be incredibly sweet if it happens! I hope they use the Israeli spec barrel.
    We are trying to accomplish that. It's CHF, chrome lined, 1:7 twist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Daly View Post
    We are trying to accomplish that. It's CHF, chrome lined, 1:7 twist.
    Any estimate on the price?

Downloads
    Uploads
    16" for me as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I say keep the 14.95'' barrel it would appeal to more people I think keeping it as orginaly designed as possible.
    1st question will it have a MARS sight with it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the look of the shorter barrel, but I just know if I were to get it that way, I'd probably end up with a can and no way to attach it.