Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bolt Carrier Group Guide (and questions)

Currently I'm working on writing up and finishing pictures to a Guide on various Bolt Carrier Groups. My thought on this is that there seems to be a lot of different talk about BCGs, and their different designs. I hope that some of these questions will be answered, and that people will be able to get a quick visual reference. However, I can't help but wonder what people are really looking for with a guide like this.

How much detail do you think the average reader is looking to find?

What info are you looking for?

Is there a particular BCG, or BCGs that you would want to see in this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beside the typical staking issue that comes up from time to time on various forums, I want to know how to tell which BCG comes from which manufacturer, because you don't typically see their name on the BCG (except Young and POF). Also, how can you tell which BCG is MP tested, if the MP label were not on the BCG itself?
    Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully the pictures will help with determining MFG, but many of the carriers appear to come from the same place.

Right now I've got pictures of:

CMT
    LMT
    LMT Enhanced
    RRA
    Young MFG

I'll be adding pictures of:

Bushmaster
    Colt
    Olympic Arms

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Stick. Is Bravo's BCG made by Bravo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a tough one as like you said some of them come from the same place. I have seen different carriers by the same manufactuers. Pics showing what parts are used on different carriers would be a good addition. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Chris

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is also the LWRC. If you can, can you include which steel they are made of?

Downloads
    Uploads
    LWRC and Bravo are two companies I hadn't initially thought of. If they are interested in getting a BCG out here, I think it would be worth including them.

More importantly than making them, I believe Bravo Company has them made to their specs, and its my opinion that the specifications are more important than who actually produced the end product.

Here are a few sample pictures of the Young MFG BCG. The others manufacturers BCGs will be shown in similar pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    SHIHAN- Do you mean a break down of the individual parts of a BCG so people know what they are? Similar to a schematic?

paulosantos- I'm not sure that all companies will be willing to give the details, but I think its worth a try. I understand that there are people who already have this information, but I would need to clarify from them how they discovered their info. I don't want to write it out unless we can determine its factual, and there have been plenty of people who have posted things with good intentions only to find out later on they are incorrect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an FYI for clarification

The Young MFG BCGs DO NOT come staked from the factory. They use red locktite which have survived 10,000 round tests by Young. The staking was done at our shop as the additional insurance was beneficial.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    SHIHAN- Do you mean a break down of the individual parts of a BCG so people know what they are? Similar to a schematic?

paulosantos- I'm not sure that all companies will be willing to give the details, but I think its worth a try. I understand that there are people who already have this information, but I would need to clarify from them how they discovered their info. I don't want to write it out unless we can determine its factual, and there have been plenty of people who have posted things with good intentions only to find out later on they are incorrect.
    Hey Stick I ment a break down of what the individual parts are. Such as screw type used, chrome lined key etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    John, that info will be included in the writeup.

Shihan- Not a bad idea at all. I need to contact some of these companies and see what info they are willing to provide, or what info they know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyway, will your final write-up be in the form of a summarized table, you know, something similar to "The Chart"?

12131- I meant to reply to your post, and accidentally edited it. I didn't want you to think we were playing with your post, I was simply clumsy with my fingers. Sorry about that!

Stick
    Last edited by Stickman; 11 March 2008 at 13:55.

Downloads
    Uploads

The information in "the chart" is geared more towards an entire weapon, while this guide is dedicated towards just the BCG. I'm not sure at this point if a spreadsheet is something we want to do or not. As it progresses, and all the info starts coming together, we'll have to take a look at it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIHAN View Post
    Hey Stick I ment a break down of what the individual parts are. Such as screw type used, chrome lined key etc.

Good idea, it may link back to what 12131 just asked. I'm not a fan of spread sheets, but I'm not sure of a way around it. Besides, I am horrible with making charts.... which isn't going to help anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It isn't a big secret, LWRC uses 9130 steel. If the other manufacturers don't provide the info, it is no big deal.