Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads
    A little info on plastics and colors....

Here is a picture of the Norrells OD Green on a project I built, in this case I did the M4 handguards in the same color as some other parts of the weapon. A lot of people have been sending me questions asking how the Norrells adheres to plastics, and if the heat will damage anything.

The end result has been that the product is holding up very well on the handguards. Prep work was simple degreasing, nothing else was done. As with everything I coat, I preheated it with a hairdryer before I sprayed.Here are some pictures of a little work I recently did. I have picked up a regular compressor, and adapted it using some (comp x npt) fittings available at your local hardware store. The compressor was set for 30psi when I sprayed these, and I worked them a little differently than usual. By warming the item higher than usual, the finish becomes very flat, and for the OD Green, this seems to look even better.

Plastics were baked at 250 for 90 minutes, while the rest was at 300 for 60 minutes.

Its worth noting that not all plastics take heat very well, especially some of the cheaper grades. This is why we lower the heat and extend the curing time. Times can be extended, and temps can be made lower. I cured a knife blade that had a bone handle at 200 degrees for 2 hours, and it turned out fine, but I did have resin/ glue seep from the handle.

Any time you are refinishing, you are taking a risk. Then again, you take a risk every time you get out of bed in the morning. Whether the risk is something you are willing to take is up to you.

Name:  PLASTICS 1.jpg
Views: 8779
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  PLASTICS 2.jpg
Views: 9899
Size:  238.4 KB
    Last edited by Stickman; 2 December 2007 at 11:56.