Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
Frankly, I don't think most are driven by performance or function. Look at the success of RECOIL magazine, picture threads on almost every forum, etc. It's all BS based on MOAR! and flash and consumerism etc.

Keymod and MLOK don't do anything picatinny doesn't do.
How is being able to turn a drop-in to a 12" free float without any smithing consumerism? And Keymod enables us to have slimmer profiles, less weight since you can choose where your rail goes withoug full on rail down both sides or rail covers, and the ability to place accessories on a 45 degree without special mounts. I'll agree that M-Lok is simply another version of Keymod, but to say that it serves no purpose better than a full on quad is simply not true. Again, it doesn't serve a purpose for your needs necessarily, but to say it doesn't serve any better function than a quad is erroneous.

Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
I agree with this. Keymod, MLOK, Picatinny all do the same thing.. make it so we can attach accessories to our rifles each do it in there own way but two of them sometimes use one of them to do it..
It's not about changing the purpose of picatinny but about changing how much of it and where it's located on the rifle. John and Eric wanted to enable a user to completely customize their forearm without having excess and still maintain function.